Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13 month old, O/W approx. 48 lbs. male setter for sale. Has had 3+ months training with a pro trainer. He has been worked on wild quail in AZ, and grouse and woodcock in MI, as well as pen raised birds. Runs and handles well in the woods. He pointed his first grouse at 5 months of age. He is a natural retriever and will retrieve to hand! He is crate trained; house broke and does well with other dogs in the house or kennel.

Out of: Raynbow Ridge Chester (RU-CH Govenor Sam Houston x Cracklin Tail Gabbie) X Punky's Playmate (RU-CH Trail's End Bubba x Tug Hill Balerina).

Max will make someone a very nice gun dog and companion! Asking $950.

View pedigree at: http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=486

Contact me via email at: [email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,465 Posts
I can honestly say that if I were done with school and had extra room for him I would take him. He will make a fine dog for someone. Very nice, sweet boy with great looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,716 Posts
midwestfisherman said:
13 month old, O/W approx. 48 lbs. male setter for sale. Has had 3+ months training with a pro trainer. He has been worked on wild quail in AZ, and grouse and woodcock in MI, as well as pen raised birds. Runs and handles well in the woods. He pointed his first grouse at 5 months of age. He is a natural retriever and will retrieve to hand! He is crate trained; house broke and does well with other dogs in the house or kennel.

Out of: Raynbow Ridge Chester (RU-CH Govenor Sam Houston x Cracklin Tail Gabbie) X Punky's Playmate (RU-CH Trail's End Bubba x Tug Hill Balerina).

Max will make someone a very nice gun dog and companion! Asking $950.

View pedigree at: http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=486

Contact me via email at: [email protected]
Boy if I were a setter guy looking for a pup, this would be it. That dog is probably worth about 4k or more in training and heartache of getting a new puppy. I am sure that with Jim that dog has been socialized great.

The only problem with this dog would be is. How bad did you and the Mrs. spoil him?:D

Good luck finding a home for him. Somebody is going to have a great new hunting dog this fall. Field trial washouts make some of the best bird dogs around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,287 Posts
Does bump mean you read the post but have no more to say( like HERE HERE with a large beer glass)? They bump like crazy on the coverdog site... And I dont understand... Jim seeing how you just bumped can you help a guy out and explain this to me... I hope never to ask another stupid question ... yet I promise nothing.:dizzy: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,721 Posts
From the outside looking in, in my perspective and I certainly could be wrong as it wouldn't be the first time.
I think "bump" means to the top. Dog for sale, I'm sure Jims dog sales are quite a value and I'm sure this is getting costly for him to sell these dogs and he has probably got 2-3 times that from the initial cost, training fee's, handling fee's feed, vet bills, trial entry fee's, fuel etc.

Ain't this sport fun:lol: :lol:

Might ought to switch to pointers, can go through a lot of dogs looking for a setter that is a superstar as a juvenile.
There has been an awful lot of setters that haven't won till 3-4 years old.

Wally
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
drwink said:
From the outside looking in, in my perspective and I certainly could be wrong as it wouldn't be the first time.
I think "bump" means to the top. Dog for sale, I'm sure Jims dog sales are quite a value and I'm sure this is getting costly for him to sell these dogs and he has probably got 2-3 times that from the initial cost, training fee's, handling fee's feed, vet bills, trial entry fee's, fuel etc.

Ain't this sport fun:lol: :lol:

Might ought to switch to pointers, can go through a lot of dogs looking for a setter that is a superstar as a juvenile.
There has been an awful lot of setters that haven't won till 3-4 years old.

Wally
hmmmm.....Maybe a pointer would cost me less in the long run. Did I just say that? :yikes: :lol:

I understand what you're saying Wally but I also believe that you can distinguish signs early in a dogs life that will tell you with good probability if that dog has that 'something' that we as trialers are looking for. My desire in running my dogs is to have fun, but also to establish a top notch breeding program that will produce excellent dogs for both the foot hunter and trialer.

I'm looking for the best that I can find.

Now when it comes to Max, I have no doubt that he will make an excellent gun dog and companion for someone. But, in my opinion and the opinion of my trainer, handler and mentors he's missing that little extra that will make him a 'great' trial dog. It's difficult for me to sell him but I have a goal that I am working towards and I have to stay true to that or I'll never reach it.

This is a fun sport and something that I've wanted to do for a long time. So I'm going for it. With anything in life that's worth doing there's going to be sacrifice, hard work and money spent. I can only hope that in the long run I get to where I want to be, but either way I'll have fun doing it and hopefully not go broke in the process. :lol:

My concern when I sell Max is that he goes to a good home where he will be hunted, be part of the family and well treated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,287 Posts
Buying points...
1. Socialized both with people and dogs.
2. Trained by Bruce ...( Wrangler just missed being named the top coverdog in the US)
3. Bruce isnt noted for whipping his dogs straight.... As we all know SOME pros are not so nice.
4. Most people dont want a trial dog. Dogs that trial are not always great hunting dogs. I think people forget that trialing and hunting are only related but more like cousins than brothers.

This is a great deal..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Oh, and he doesn't dig holes....but he does crave the delicacy of the occasional used tissue out of the bathroom trash....:lol:.
An added plus, he will come with his favorite 'cuz squeakies because none of the other dogs use them, those are the favorite in the house fetch toys. He plops them in your lap or next to you, and if you ignore him, he'll bark to remind you to throw the darn thing! I've been working on fetch with him outside since he was little with the quail and grouse dummies, he'll drop them right at my feet. He can do that til my arm feels like it'll fall off, I swear he's got a lab ancestor somewhere.

Don't think for a minute that I'm happy about selling another one of my babies, but I know it's gotta be done. I don't want to end up on Animal Planet being profiled as a dog hoarder gone wrong....:yikes:.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
BIGSP said:
Boy if I were a setter guy looking for a pup, this would be it. That dog is probably worth about 4k or more in training and heartache of getting a new puppy. I am sure that with Jim that dog has been socialized great.

The only problem with this dog would be is. How bad did you and the Mrs. spoil him?:D

Good luck finding a home for him. Somebody is going to have a great new hunting dog this fall. Field trial washouts make some of the best bird dogs around.
I don't have ANY clue as to this "spoiling" stuff you speak of.....all our dogs are treated like new recruits in the army. :eek:ne_eye:
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top