Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 100 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
18,284 Posts
That one is a convertible and will allow back carry
Beware ...

Had a metal framed child carrier loaded with a lil tot I used to take trout fishing on my back.
Worked good for the distance traveled , however the kid about got baptized a couple times when I leaned to land fish...

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
I’ve been having steady action since before 4:00. There are a 4pt and 6pt harassing does. I first saw them in the golden rod across the ravine. The bucks moved off and now there are 2 does with 3 fawns peacefully eating in the plot. Where’s the old guys?
The old guy wrote that post. :p:p

·
Registered
14,629 Posts
My experience this time of year smart bucks do their herd check at night and most breeding is deep in the woods and bedding areas. Mornings are a absolute and entry to those stands has to be perfect. Killing a good buck now is more luck than skill, but I will enjoy this month as much as the last two, maybe more if a snow event happens
In December do you consider your opportunity at a mature buck to be better in the morning or afternoon?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Depends on the weather, but I am a morning hunter and a lot of that has to do with my primary stand locations. If I had the property I used to have, it would be still/stalk hunting hands down, from a hour after day break till dark

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
In December do you consider your opportunity at a mature buck to be better in the morning or afternoon?
I've found it best in the afternoon to slip in between a bedding area and a good source. A smart buck will scent check them does back in cover when they head out to feed.
In the mornings I do the opposite . I get closer toward the area you think he might be bedding and wait for him coming back from along night of pigging out and checking does. I always considered it more skill then luck if you truly know the land your hunting along with how and where your deer travel.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Climbed down out of the stand at 10:00.
Had my bro do a small push through a thicket for me. One we do every year when nobody's out hunting neighboring properties.
The first one I saw was a buck, but couldn't tell whether he was a shooter or not. He doubled back around in the thicket and never did come out.
4 does broke out and headed west about 7 min later.
We do this push every year in muzzleblower season. A couple years back I pushed a shooter 8 passed my bro and he missed. Killed a tree.
Had to report to work at 1:00 (bummer)
I always get a hunting report after dark when the brother hunts evenings. He said he went to the farm and saw 23 baldies and 2 gerkers. Nothing moved until almost dark.
Typical for late season.

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
Been a long time since I've shot a little one but he'll eat ! Poor little fella. Had 3 Big doe have a sixth sense and head back the way they came before coming out, gun up and ready. Had the ticker going if they would've proceeded it would've been a 10' shot..to thick too shoot. Turn phone on check time 5:13 few minutes left. See a deer (small deer) stepped on a hill didn't look so small. Fire and hit right where I aimed ;) good shot for such a small target ..haha.. Won't be the last deer I kill from that spot but it'll be the smallest, promise ! I'm not done yet, just the start. And for the corn my dad and the homeowner that allows me to hunt uses it, dad the squirrels in the yard and homeowner the deer (know it's not allowed) but I'll keep him happy to allow me to hunt !

Let the ribbing begin , haha... can't wait for inner loins, hopefully rascal will give me a bite. Won't be too big :p
IMG_20201209_194311.jpg

81 - 100 of 165 Posts