Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Skunked. One last sit across the road tomorrow. Should see a doe or three feeding in the cut corn. I hope.

Sent from d_mobile

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
LabTechLewis- Talk to us Buddy!! What did you get?? I am still shaking trying to get warm I need good news!!
I went back to the property where I saw the 20 a few nights ago, but chose a different stand in case they had seen me climb down and depart the previous time. On the edge of the main ag field and the little, cut-out 2 acre field. Wind was scheduled to be WNW, which would be blowing right in my face. Pretty much the best direction for this stand site. However, soon after sitting down, I noticed some leaves kicking up and blowing back into the 2 acre field -- basically a SE wind vortex at times -- which would not be helpful based on their typical point of arrival. This minor detail would prove important later.

Around 430p, I saw movement in the fallow, goldenrod field next door to my north. Good. Then I saw more moving through the woods from my right to left and directly out in front. Good again! I put the scope up and watched the first deer move through a lane. Little buck. Then another little buck. The trophy doe that busted me the other night was with these bucks, so I thought the third in line might be her. Nope. Another little buck. They moved out to the main field and did little buck things.

By this time, the deer that had been in the fallow field were moving in to the 2 acre field. First one entered and immediately started feeding. Must be a fawn. Then another. Then another. The last one was being quite a bit more careful -- so I figured that was a shooter. Didn't look a whole lot bigger than the others, but the cautious behavior was a tip-off.

Anyway, before I knew it, I had about a dozen deer within 50 yards to my north and west, including the 3 little bucks that had entered the 2 acre field to see what the does were up to. The one target doe was now within 30 yards and almost directly north of me, but drifting a bit east -- which is my weak side. I was taking things slow and easy so that I didn't spook anything. I sat silently and still, waiting for the right time to make my move.

Then, the target doe moved a bit closer and was now in that very spot where I saw the leaves kick up and blow backwards at the beginning of the hunt. I was ready because of what I had seen earlier. Sure enough, she stopped and looked. Stomped. Uh-oh. Now or never. She bounded a couple steps and I raised up in parallel. She stopped. I gained the sight picture. It was a clear look at the shoulder, through a small hole in some oak branches. Boom.

I could see a blood spot on the near side as it ran off. Thought I saw it go down. With almost a half hour to go, I readied again. The three little bucks came back out into a distant, corner clover plot. No more does arrived.

Here's the hero shot. Best I could do solo.
94#

20201228_192550.jpg

·
Registered
18,269 Posts
I went back to the property where I saw the 20 a few nights ago, but chose a different stand in case they had seen me climb down and depart the previous time. On the edge of the main ag field and the little, cut-out 2 acre field. Wind was scheduled to be WNW, which would be blowing right in my face. Pretty much the best direction for this stand site. However, soon after sitting down, I noticed some leaves kicking up and blowing back into the 2 acre field -- basically a SE wind vortex at times -- which would not be helpful based on their typical point of arrival. This minor detail would prove important later.

Around 430p, I saw movement in the fallow, goldenrod field next door to my north. Good. Then I saw more moving through the woods from my right to left and directly out in front. Good again! I put the scope up and watched the first deer move through a lane. Little buck. Then another little buck. The trophy doe that busted me the other night was with these bucks, so I thought the third in line might be her. Nope. Another little buck. They moved out to the main field and did little buck things.

By this time, the deer that had been in the fallow field were moving in to the 2 acre field. First one entered and immediately started feeding. Must be a fawn. Then another. Then another. The last one was being quite a bit more careful -- so I figured that was a shooter. Didn't look a whole lot bigger than the others, but the cautious behavior was a tip-off.

Anyway, before I knew it, I had about a dozen deer within 50 yards to my north and west, including the 3 little bucks that had entered the 2 acre field to see what the does were up to. The one target doe was now within 30 yards and almost directly north of me, but drifting a bit east -- which is my weak side. I was taking things slow and easy so that I didn't spook anything. I sat silently and still, waiting for the right time to make my move.

Then, the target doe moved a bit closer and was now in that very spot where I saw the leaves kick up and blow backwards at the beginning of the hunt. I was ready because of what I had seen earlier. Sure enough, she stopped and looked. Stomped. Uh-oh. Now or never. She bounded a couple steps and I raised up in parallel. She stopped. I gained the sight picture. It was a clear look at the shoulder, through a small hole in some oak branches. Boom.

I could see a blood spot on the near side as it ran off. Thought I saw it go down. With almost a half hour to go, I readied again. The three little bucks came back out into a distant, corner clover plot. No more does arrived.

94#

View attachment 623433
Congrats!
Neat recounting.
Sounds familiar the fallow /area size, stages of destination...

Who's the old guy?:lol:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
LabTechLewis- Great story! I like those kind of stories that put you there!! Bet your glad you got the new sled!! Makes things easier for sure!!!

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
LabTechLewis- Great story! I like those kind of stories that put you there!! Bet your glad you got the new sled!! Makes things easier for sure!!!
Yes. Wasn't as skilled as Dish7, but only had to pull it about 30 feet to one of our groomed foot paths. Then slid it another 30 yards out to the field, snapped a pic with the tripod, and loaded it in. No leaks. Perfect.

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Got me another one...
This slick was so polite, she ran about 100 yards out of the woods and dropped right in my mowed lane, lol.
View attachment 623397

94#

View attachment 623433

CONGRATS guy's !!
Buddy's supposed to put me on a "mercy" hunt tommorow ;) the new 450 should bark :)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Camera pull tonight. Lots of does using this trail along the creek. Big boy is mostly nocturnal but not crazy consistent, probably par for the course with older bucks anyway this time of the year. I’ll be out two more times before season is up! Since it snowed I got more doe movement during the daylight hours. I’d love to knock one of them down. If that buck is around next year he should be a tank. He’s just taunting me at this point, I mean, really? Why you gotta get that close to the cam!
2A4797C5-62D2-4F10-B30C-9615A2674E91.jpeg
9ABE2643-ECA4-40CE-9A53-BBC200B428F7.jpeg

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

94#

View attachment 623433
Congrats

·
Registered
3,691 Posts

94#

View attachment 623433
Congrats nice deer

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Went out tonight first time in awhile.just had does by me.Didn’t want to shoot had crossbow and neighbor I give any I shoot was gone for a couple days so wouldn’t have help.Now if big buck I’ve been seeing showed I’d find some way even if had to cut him up tommorow,pull all memory cards no pictures of the nice bucks again that makes two weeks .Iam done but will leave cameras out another month see if they show up ,Hoping they are alive for next year.Just Hope Iam able to hunt a lot next year.This is the most I ever missed.Finaly getting better after season is over.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Nice late season score, congrats Tron!!
Came in following a doe at about 30-40 yards, never hunt that spot until this late becuase it gets so much pressure earlier in the season. Ussually just take a doe or two, but couldn't pass that up with a good shot, my nicest buck harvested to date. Hopefully do better next year, want to say in the last few days here but I don't think I'll top that this year.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts