Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it put to kent lake today. 2" inches of ice in 6 feet of water. Mainly fished on 1 inch of ice in the 8 foot depths. I know we are crazy but we had to get out. In only an hour i landed over a 18 bass, the biggest at a solid 22" inches, two 12 inch crappies, and a 10 inch perch. All fish were caught on gold swedish pimples fished clean. last year we killed the bass and pike in our kent lake spot, and this year it looks great again.

Heres the 22 incher and a solid 18

·
Registered
452 Posts
And yes you are crazy.

Please be careful. I'm chomping at the bit but I'll wait a few weeks to get on some safer ice than you guys were on.

But anyway congrats those are nice and before the closer date makes them bonus fish!!!

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Fishing in 8 FOW on 1 inch of ice ???????

Let us know next time you go out.................. We'll pre-write your obituary.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Although there is no fish worth sitting on one inch of ice in eight feet of water, here is a pat on the back for some dandys!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Youngguns didn't I fish with you and your brother and Dad at a little get together with Patch and Jigworm. If it was you HI! and tell your Dad I said HI!

Nice catch.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
1 inch of ice in 8 ft of water....that means that at Kent lake you were at least 20-30 ft from shore, and a minumum of 30 minutes from a rescue...NOT SMART.... Read the post Sad News

Learn from it, you are way to darned young to end life so early..the guy in the post was at least 3 times your age, with 3 times the expereince...

Congrats on the nice fish, but they are NOT worth risking your life with thin Ice in these temps..

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Crazy and lucky. You could have wound up like this poor guy who died in another thread going. Just think of your family. Fishing is fun but not worth risking your life. This is what give ice fishing people a bad name.:mad:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually there probaly was closer to 2 inches where i was fishing, more than 1 but still. thats why we left so early. hey mike h ya i think i remember u from the "pighole". i wonder how the ice is there

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I suppose that now you're going to tell me" There's plenty of ice, Come on down". Think I'll wait a little longer! LOL!!!.....Patch

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
At least it's better than 0 inches;) . I chickened out at the last second. I seen there was 11/2 inches around shore, solid, but still. I just sat at shore, watch him nail bass after bass. I was about to go out, then, my dad comes in, says it's too thin, and it was started to crackle, and said matt was on about 1 inch of ice, so, i descided to stay;) . You think we are nuts, spreading way out, and just jigging with poles, and coming in after an hour. There was another group, two people, with tip ups, everytime a flsg went up(which was VERY frequent) they would RUN TOGETHER to get it!!!!! And they were sitting on chairs next to each other....i was VERY suprised they didn't fall through....that's nuts!!!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I used to go out on an inch, not any more! Sounds like you were the smart one. If we get all the snow that they say we might get, that 1" will be 4"s under water. Sounds like I might have to head north over the holidays....Patch

G

·
Come on Man:mad: I don't want to come across as rude but this gives a bad name for the sport. People have accidents thats one story,but knowing your in danger is another.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Nuts, Crazy, Just plain stupid! Stay home and play PSII or a few other things I won't mention! Was at Kent Sat. Morning, west end and it wasn't even close to being safe, plus the current thru that end doesn't help. Had a fellow fisherman and his wife, plus a firefighter (would be rescuer) spend almost a hour in the water on Kent before they got pulled out! Flotation Devices, (of course on) flare guns, cell phones, hell, should drag a small boat along and if it doesn't good thru you know the ice is safe. Never to young or old to think about "check out time"

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Nuts, Crazy, Just plain stupid! Stay home and play PSII or a few other things I won't mention!
I don't think you should be telling this young man what to do or call him Stupid. This is a great site and he is a good young man.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Be carefull out there. There was a good ice on Kent between turtle head and the canoe camp island yesterday morning, but the warm temps may have done that in.

The "pighole" is wide open, no ice at all. Don't expect to be fishing it anytime soon.

Have you heard from Statebull?

Pete

1 - 20 of 33 Posts