Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'd like to say that I had a blast today. Steelheadfred and I left my house at 0600 and headed out to meat Pahtridgehunter for breakfast. Met up about 0820 and had a bite to eat and got rolling.

The first cover was a little slow, so we regrouped and changed our "strategery". Headed for a different area and things started rolling our way. I shot the first bird of the day over Bella the Red Bomber...who is turning into a very effective Grouse dog. Then on to the next cover, Jay bangs one up....then on to the next cover, Jay tried to scare one to death. I think I saw it miss a couple wingbeats, probably from the percussion:D . Then at the last cover, Jay put a swat on a right to left, overhead crosser like nobodies business. It kinda looked like he shot a big feather pillow.

Obviously that is the VERY short version. It was good to meet Jay and hunt over Molly, Bella, and Hilde. I had a great day. I came home to Spaghetti and Birthday cake. Not a bad way to end the day.;)

I couldn't believe it, but we hunted the crap out of this cover and never moved a bird.;)

And this one is my favorite..

I know, I know, no pictures of Fred. I think this is the first day that Fred didn't get a kill pic in a LOOOOOONG time. We moved a lot of birds, and we got some quality dog work on all ends. Bella and Hilde performed at their usual level....right at the top. Molly had a great retrieve to hand on Jay's pillow bird. Good times had by all.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Congrats fellas, good to see someone had a productive day. I had a dog on the ground today for almost 4 hours without a bird contact in northern WI. Talk about disappointing!:confused: Believe me, it wasn't our fault either...

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We actually shot 3, Jay scored 2 of them. Not sure how many birds we moved, we had over a dozen flushes...not sure how many were different birds.

Not a bad day for Pennsylvania......;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Rub it in why don't ya, you dirty rotten son of a bi...:)

To make matters worse, I was in the tags, popples, balsams, you name it. Not a find. Then, fell on my ass and damn near broke my hip to top things off. Thought the dog was going to have to drive 2 hours back home to get help....:D (This is a really smart lab I had out today...):)

You know it's still a good day when you go down in the woods and when you finally get done swearing and over the initial pain the dog is there licking your face.:p

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lking said:
Rub it in why don't ya, you dirty rotten son of a bi...:)
Not bad, first we beat the Pack and now this.......:lol:

F*[email protected]^#& Cheesehead:D

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hevi, great pictures and stories. How does that work, hunting the flushers with your pointer? Or, do you guys hunt them separate? Good job on those grouse. Brian.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
1st what a great day!

Brian, we do both, if we hunt Max I but Bella down, we keep them separate, and she is steady to the whistle sit 99% so if Max goes on point I sit her, but really we just spread out! Hilde is older and more mature, so it becomes a competition between her and Max so they hunt separate.

Happy Birthday Matt!

Ok just a couple comments from today!

It was a great day considering none of us had ever hunted this area before, we found a pattern and it payed off.

It was really nice to hunt in 2inches of snow.

Max had a great point on Jay's first bird, a 3 bird covy of sorts!

I have hunted with Jay 5 times this season, he has shot 4 grouse and one rooster! This is from really a 1st year bird hunter, so becareful he is dangerous! I wish I could have shot 4 grouse my first season out in the woods. His Pillow Bird was just awesome!

This could have been my last really serious all day hunt and if it is I am content to have it be called a season. If the snow continues over here and stays light over there, I might be able to talk Matt into another drive closer to the Holiday's!

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Nice job boys, sorry I missed the party.

2 inches of snow, where were you guys Florida? :D
Congrats to Jay on his two bird day, one is nice but two is better.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steelheadfred said:
If the snow continues over here and stays light over there, I might be able to talk Matt into another drive closer to the Holiday's!
You talked me into it...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
What an incredible day!

First of all, it was great to finally meet Mates! Just as I thought...an @$$ just like me!!!:lol: Just kidding, Mates, it was a pleasure to hunt with you and get to see Max work. My first bird over a point!!! You have a great dog there, Bro! Happy birthday Old Man!!!

Like Matt and Fritz said, we had a pretty productive day. Once we figured out where they might be hiding, we started moving a couple. Mates, I think you're right, I may have scared that one half to death!;)

Fred, I am once again impressed with both Hilde's and Bella's performance as well. Bella is well on her way to becoming an incredible dog!!!

All in all, I think the pics speak for themselves. Great weather, a little bird action, and many laughs with some great friends!

-Jay

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
2ESRGR8 said:
Nice job boys, sorry I missed the party.

2 inches of snow, where were you guys Florida? :D
Congrats to Jay on his two bird day, one is nice but two is better.
Thanks, Scott!

BTW, Hevi folded his grouse with a great shot at about 35-40 yards out! I think the first shell was just for practice!!!:lol:

Fred,
No, I'm still in her good graces. WHo knows, I may need to cash my chips in again if we hook up for the day soon!:lol:

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice Dave. What are you shooting there?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steelheadfred said:
Jay should have had three yesterday but we wont go there!
I think that bird he whiffed on must have messed him up when it bumped his barrels.:lol:

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Nice job boys.

Jay, you've had a hell of a year, congrats man.

Jay and Mates hunting together........that's alot of smartass in one location! :lol: :lol:

Oh Yeah, happy birthday man!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I went "big bore" and pulled out the 16g.

We had a hoot with many birds and enough in the bag. My buddies both used autos. We had a bird go with hunter #1 firing 5 shells and #2 firing 4 - all misses. I've never seen that before - unbelievable considering both of these guys are normally solid shooters.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Looks like a good day was had by all. Glad to see you connect with two Jay. I won't even ask about the third.

I've got one more week of work than I'll be spending the last two weeks of the year up north where I'll hopefully run into some of those birds.

BTW, way to go Dave. You don't find too many limits in zone 3.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts