Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the Indiana Put and Take hunt on Tuesday and Wednesday at Huntington Reservior. Hunting starts at 9:00 am (and not a minute earlier unless your looking or a $125 ticket). By 9:11 am, I was DONE!!!! Elliot went on point 5 minutes into the morning, I walked up and flushed the rooster. I nailed him quartering away. The bird flopped into a small waterfowl flooding. Elliot does a perfect "big air" entry into the water. Fun to watch, until I realized his beeper was NOT made for submersion under water. He retrieves the rooster perfectly to hand. He then takes off and goes on point about 30 yds away. I walk up and flush a hen (legal during put and take hunts). I nailed her on the second shot and Elliot scores another perfect retrieve to hand. This takes 11 minutes. I was back at the truck unloading and some guys hadn't even left the parking lot yet!!! I traded the shotgun for the blank pistol and we went out to do a little training on what was left. All told, very fun days and only cost $15/day (plus license).

Here's the results:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RW,

Not at first, the beeper was dead the minute he hit the water. When he came back, I took it off of him. The verdict is still out as to whether or not I can fix it. I have it completely dissasmebled and have a heater fan blowing on it on low trying to dry everything out. I still haven't put it back together yet. Its a Tri-Tronics accessory beeper that I just bought in September, so its still under warranty if its permanenty broke. Oh well, that retrieve was well worth breaking the beeper!!!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
greg m--

how much is the license? and can you give me a little more info on this type of hunt? I've never heard of it??

thanks,

DaYoop

·
Super Moderator
37,506 Posts
Pretty cool. Hope the beeper survives.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
gregm,

Very Cool. Sounds like Eliot is becoming quite the dog- good breeding and good training usually come out on top.

But then, what'd you expect - he's a BRITTANY

Natty B.:D ;) :D

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DAYOOP:

The Put and Take hunts are held at select State Properties in Indiana. (e.g. Pigeon River Fish and Wildlife Area, Huntington Reservoir, Winamac FWA, etc...) They start the Saturday before Thanksgiving and run until the Sunday after Thanksgiving or until they run out of birds whichever is sooner. It cost $15 per day and you get to kill 2 birds of any sex which are randomly put out in the morning between registration at 6:00 am and the hunt at 9:00 am. At Huntington, they have a cutoff of about 200 hunters. So that means thay are putting out 400 birds. They are supposed to be putting out a 50/50 mix of Cocks and hens, but that is a joke, pretty much everyone knows it more like 3 hens to ever cock. The License cost is a standard Indiana small game with a game bird habitat stamp. The license and stamp are good all year. The birds aren't the best in the world, but they're good for young dogs to learn with. Especially since by this time of year most wild birds that are left are giving young dogs fits.

Here is a link for more information:

Indiana Put and Take Hunts

I just reassembled the beeper today and it works perfectly, just needed a little drying job.

The picture and Story was of Wednesday, on Tuesday I shot two Hens which only took about 30 minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts