Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great hunt, we got 3 red heads, 1 mallard, 2 blue bills and 2 Bull Cans!! This was my first time even seeing a can what a great time. Here are some pics.

can and red head.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I hope that Can is on it's way to the taxidermist! Late cans like that one have to be pushing mount quality by now, unlike the early ones that migrate at the end of Oct and look fine but still are sporting pin feathers in the neck. Take my word, any cans you get right now are a treasure. I've shot plenty, but all Oct birds that would not stand the test of time as a mount. One of these days I'll be lucky enough to get a late November one. Good job.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TSS Caddis said:
I hope that Can is on it's way to the taxidermist! Late cans like that one have to be pushing mount quality by now, unlike the early ones that migrate at the end of Oct and look fine but still are sporting pin feathers in the neck. Take my word, any cans you get right now are a treasure. I've shot plenty, but all Oct birds that would not stand the test of time as a mount. One of these days I'll be lucky enough to get a late November one. Good job.

Man that was the first thing I was thinking. But what you cant see in the pix is that the left side of the head is prettey bad. The guy I was hunting with does taxidermy and he advised me not to do the can. It was missing a lot of feathers on the left side of its neck. The one he got looked great but was a little smaller than mine. He was willing to do that bird and let me have it but it just would not be the same. " hay I'll just do this one and you can say that you got this one and I got that one" It just didn't feel right.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Oh Man ?..............I'm just green with envy..... I've "Never"
taken a Can...... He's on my list of three must haves......Nice bird, congrads for sure !...... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts