Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The part where the Coast Guard and insurance company ignored the bit about the ship breaking in half, even after the guys they picked up told them they watched the ship break in half...

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
There was a 4th crew member that was washed off the life boat the other three were on. A hunting pal of mines father had to leave deer camp and identify bodies.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
My uncle sailed on the Bradley - quit a couple of years before it sank to become a mailman in Rogers City. He knew just about everyone on it.

Frank Mays, the lone survivor, is my buddy's uncle.

This disaster was an emotional event in my family. Both of my parents are from Rogers City.

·
Registered
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's way too many of these stories that start with "just one more trip before lay up".

One ended up with a ship caught in the ice off Muskegon with the crew trying to walk 7 miles through ice bergs in a -30 wind chill.

·
Premium Member
13,455 Posts
There's way too many of these stories that start with "just one more trip before lay up".

One ended up with a ship caught in the ice off Muskegon with the crew trying to walk 7 miles through ice bergs in a -30 wind chill.
Cripe !!!
Did they survive the hike ?

·
Registered
17,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to look that one up.

If you love old ships and get to the Soo, tour the Valley Camp. If you get to Manistee you can stay overnight on the Milwaukee. After they shut it down for the night you have free reign of the upper decks. We got take out and ate dinner at the map table behind the helm.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a DVD titled November Requiem about the Bradley sinking. It contains recollections of the family members of the lost crewmen, of Frank Mays, and the effort to recover the ship's bell.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The bell is located in the Rogers City Maritime Museum. National Geographic also took Frank Mays Down in a sub to look at the ship a few years ago.

Reactions: Far Beyond Driven

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a DVD titled November Requiem about the Bradley sinking. It contains recollections of the family members of the lost crewmen, of Frank Mays, and the effort to recover the ship's bell.
I saw it when it was on PBS. Very good documentary.

My grandma grew up near Rodgers City and my Grandpa was on the boats for a while. It was one of the few times I asked her about something that I didn't get 2 hours of stories.

The book about it is quite good, and a short read.

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
I use to have a lot of books on the shipwrecks of the great lakes. Stories in it on each boat and stories of the ones who lived thru it. Once I started each one I could not stop reading. Those guy are some really tough people in the early days. Shipwrecks always interested me and still does

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Years back I was a master diver down south. I dove a lot of wrecks. It's a very humbling experience to swim through the hold of a sunken ship and know what happened to it but I was always drawn to do it until I moved to Michigan in 86. Most of my dives were in sunken WW2 ships.

Someone once asked what it was like and my explanation was that it was like swimming through a grave yard. The very weird part was that we never saw a body or even a skeleton.

RIP sailors...

·
Premium Member
14,153 Posts
Years back I was a master diver down south. I dove a lot of wrecks. It's a very humbling experience to swim through the hold of a sunken ship and know what happened to it but I was always drawn to do it until I moved to Michigan in 86. Most of my dives were in sunken WW2 ships.

Someone once asked what it was like and my explanation was that it was like swimming through a grave yard. The very weird part was that we never saw a body or even a skeleton.

RIP sailors...

One that you can dive here is the Cedarville. It is also reality recent and and interesting story.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
My uncle (different one) was on the cedarville when it went down. Got sucked way down.... made it back up. One of the lucky ones.

The bradley and the cedarville sinkings validated my dad's decision that he would never sail. Had to move away from home, as that was one of the main jobs in the area.

I do, however. come from a long line of seamen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts