Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The NRC voted yesterday to allow the purchase of up to 10 private land antlelrless tags in 486 and 487. It was previously presented as a 5 tag limit.
The ability to purchase 10 private land antlelrless tags will help allow those with serious population issues, the ability to shoot the needed number of does from their properties. This limit was altered from last years limit of 5/day until the quota was met.

T

More here http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/MIDNR-44c313

·
Registered
649 Posts
Good news about the 10 antlerless tag limit as opposed to 5. Why burden the department biologists with DMAP processes when this can be done.

Here is the PR.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 15, 2012

Contacts: Brent Rudolph, 517-641-4903 or Ed Golder, 517-335-3014

NRC expands deer hunting territory for the fall

Hunters will have a little more territory to hunt for antlerless deer this fall as the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) opened a few more deer management units (DMUs) in the Upper Peninsula and Northern Lower Peninsula at its regular monthly meeting Thursday in Lansing.

Newly opened DMUs reflect increased deer populations in those areas, explained Department of Natural Resources (DNR) deer and elk program leader Brent Rudolph. The DNR will seek low quotas for the newly opened DMUs, Rudolph said.

A total of 72 DMUs will be open to antlerless deer hunting on public land, and 86 DMUs – plus the two multi-county DMUs in the Lower Peninsula (DMUs 486 and 487) -- will be open on private land. A complete list of open DMUs and their quotas will be published shortly in the 2012 Antlerless Deer Hunting Digest.

Antlerless deer license applications go on sale July 15 at all license agents and online at www.michigan.gov/huntdrawings.

In addition, the NRC voted to restrict hunters in DMUs 486 and 487 to a maximum of 10 private land antlerless licenses this season, a decrease from five per day in 2011.

Special statewide hunts for youth and 100 percent disabled veterans will be held Sept. 22-23. The early antlerless season on private land in portions of the Lower Peninsula is being reduced from five days to two, also Sept. 22-23.

“There have been increasing concerns from some members of the hunting public that the recent expansion of September hunting is causing deer to be more wary during the traditional seasons,” Rudolph said. “By reducing and consolidating the September seasons, we’re addressing those concerns while maintaining opportunities for youth and disabled hunters throughout the state and for early harvest of antlerless deer on private land where it is most needed.”

In addition, the NRC changed conditions on special crop-damage permits in accordance with recent legislation. Public Act 65 of 2012 allows up to 15 authorized shooters on Deer Damage Shooting Permits. In the past, special authorization was required to allow more than three shooters to be designated per permit.

In other action, the NRC reaffirmed that naturally shed deer and elk antlers may be legally collected, possessed and sold.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Am I missing something here? How is 10 total an expansion over 5/day?
I was thinking the same thing. Not that it really matters. I know of no indivdual who shoots 10 does per year. I shot 6 last year and it is a lot of work, but very tasty, had some last night.
What I would like to see is a discount on the tags if you buy 5 at a time. I know that would increase my doe harvest and my donations to food pantries.

·
Premium Member
30,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
30,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I would like to see is a discount on the tags if you buy 5 at a time. I know that would increase my doe harvest and my donations to food pantries.
There already is.:)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Am I missing something here? How is 10 total an expansion over 5/day?

It's not. The commission was considering a reduction to 5 antlerless tags per season. At the meeting it was decided to change that to 10 per season.

I know a few landowners who do need to shoot more than 5 per season because in some areas it is necessary. If you don't need to shoot that many then don't. :)

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Sorry about that!
The original proposal was for 5 all season. It was ammended to 10 before the vote.

T
Thanks for that. I was actually referring to this statement:

"The ability to purchase 10 private land antlelrless tags will help allow those with serious population issues, the ability to shoot the needed number of does from their properties. This limit was altered from last years limit of 5/day until the quota was met."

It reads as if 10 total equals more opportunity than 5/day. It seems to me you could buy alot more tags last year since the quota was more or less unlimited.

·
Premium Member
30,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that. I was actually referring to this statement:

"The ability to purchase 10 private land antlelrless tags will help allow those with serious population issues, the ability to shoot the needed number of does from their properties. This limit was altered from last years limit of 5/day until the quota was met."

It reads as if 10 total equals more opportunity than 5/day. It seems to me you could buy alot more tags last year since the quota was more or less unlimited.
Yup! I understood the confusion, that's why I corrected it.;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I dont agree with the two day season.....I am a land owner (40 acres) in NE upper and I hunt farm land in Jackson, Oakland and Sanilac counties totaling 1,660 acres of farm land. The land owners BEG me to shoot deer off their property every year, because of the crop damage. I shot 8 does and 1 buck last year. Donated one for the needy, and gave 3 away to close friends who can no longer hunt because of being handicap and kept the rest. I am down to a few packs of steaks and a few packs of burger.You should be able to manage your own private property. This stuff about not seeing any deer during archery is BS.. at least where I hunt. I was bombarded with deer OCT1st around me... 43 deer to be exact and still saw deer on NOV 15th. I chose to pass on deer because I only shoot 6 pt or better when it comes to bucks. I guess I will have to get more people into hunting this year and guide em to the first kill ! Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
I guess I will have to get more people into hunting this year and guide em to the first kill ! Just my 2 cents
That is the answer IMO! There never seems to be a shortage of hunters without a good place to hunt. A true sportsman such as yourself would allow some access and we wouldn't have a problem with "how many permits can I get?"

·
Premium Member
13,411 Posts
Generally speaking ...as I have no idea of the specifics of your land and the land you have access to.....but in DMU 486 there is still plenty of opportunity to take antlerless. The seasons...the October thru December ones.....still comprise 92 days.

If the landowners really need to have their local hered addressed then I'd suggest they....or you....contact the responsible local DNR biologist to seek Deer Management permits or Deer Control permits.

In my area of #486 that has been a viable and useful option over the years.

·
Premium Member
30,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont agree with the two day season.....
As an archery hunter you have 95 days per season to shoot does.
I guess I don't understand your concern.:confused:

·
Registered
402 Posts
When you take things away it almost impossible to get things back... that's what was meant by me not agreeing with the 2 day season..... along the lines of concessions in the work place... ya give up but you never get it back....

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
It's all about money. This won't make much difference in license sales but yet will still be on the same path of some area's almost void of deer and some area's with way too many:dizzy:

You have to love the route the mdnr is taking with all the committees and such. If it fails they can always blame it on the committees rather than admitting they were wrong

·
Premium Member
30,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you take things away it almost impossible to get things back... that's what was meant by me not agreeing with the 2 day season..... along the lines of concessions in the work place... ya give up but you never get it back....
If you look at the way the seasons, quotas, and seasonal limits on antlelrless have change annually over the last decade, there's no reason to believe the possibility doesn't exist to get the days back...or more to boot.

·
Premium Member
30,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's all about money. This won't make much difference in license sales but yet will still be on the same path of some area's almost void of deer and some area's with way too many:dizzy:

You have to love the route the mdnr is taking with all the committees and such. If it fails they can always blame it on the committees rather than admitting they were wrong
Blame falls squarely on the shoulders of hunters.

·
Premium Member
13,411 Posts
"It's all about money. This won't make much difference in license sales but yet will still be on the same path of some area's almost void of deer and some area's with way too many."

I realize I ain't the brightest candle on the cake.....so don't get the message here. Gotta help me out a bit. What is the intent?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I just really hope that last years lack of antlerless deer on our property in Calhoun was a fluke...

Last year was the first time in 20 yrs that we didnt feel comfortable killing a doe...

·
Premium Member
30,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just really hope that last years lack of antlerless deer on our property in Calhoun was a fluke...

Last year was the first time in 20 yrs that we didnt feel comfortable killing a doe...
In Calhoun County?!?!?!?!?:yikes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts