Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

10 foot Jon boat registration question....

3059 Views 33 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  cosborn
I acquired a 10 foot Jon boat last year and was wondering if anyone knows if I need to have it registered? Only way I was plan on powering it is with a 35lb trolling motor? I plan on calling the dnr tomorrow just to clarify, just thought I would ask on here to see if anybody knows. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Reactions: itchn2fish
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
If you put a motor of any sort on it, it needs to be registered. The electric only work around has been gone for awhile. The Secretary of State wants their money.
I had a feeling they would lol. Well this is gonna be fun bc the guy I got it from didn’t have a registration for it.

If you put a motor of any sort on it, it needs to be registered. The electric only work around has been gone for awhile. The Secretary of State wants their money.
A bill of sale will work just fine. It is the money part they worry most about.
I had a feeling they would lol. Well this is gonna be fun bc the guy I got it from didn’t have a registration for it.

I guess I’ll have to forge one up lol. They guy isn’t around any longer.

My F.I.L gave me an old 10 footer and I wanted to put a motor on it. The bill of sale for $1 was literally written on the back of a fast food receipt.........NO ISSUES.
I guess I’ll have to forge one up lol. They guy isn’t around any longer.

I guess I shouldn’t stress over it then lol. Only thing is that I didn’t know his name

Does it have MC numbers or a manufacturer label with serial number on it?
I guess I shouldn’t stress over it then lol. Only thing is that I didn’t know his name

No mc numbers, I’ll have to see if it has a serial number

They'll want that and a selling price for taxes.

Just went through that with my 2 kayaks. Cheap though. 17 bucks for 3 years. The tax was paid at the retailer! They needed to see that!
If it does not have either number they will issue you two numbers, the normal MC numbers/stickers and a hull ID number that will have to be permanently attached to the hull near or on the transom. That hull id number will have to be stamped into the hull or permanently affixed somehow. I had the guy that makes my dog collars make me a dog tag and I simply pop riveted that tag to the transom support. I have done this to several old boats that were never registered before, no issues. They want the money for the most part.
No mc numbers, I’ll have to see if it has a serial number

It should have a plate or stamping on the transom with Hull ID.
Sometimes they don't. My pram is listed as Manufacturer UNKNOWN with a manufacture date of 1960. The lady behind the counter pulled the date out of thin air.
It should have a plate or stamping on the transom with Hull ID.
Yes!

This old bag at SOS asked for a "something of origin" (like a dealer certificate)

I told her that Wally World sells kayaks....lol

Hmmmm ok....
Sometimes they don't. My pram is listed as Manufacturer UNKNOWN with a manufacture date of 1960. The lady behind the counter pulled the date out of thin air.
Boat made back in the 60's did not usually have serial numbers on them. Sometimes if they did you had to flip the boat over as it was stamped into the rail around the top of the boat on the bottom side. I think it was sometime in the 70's that they had to have a serial number, but who knows how many were made before that and sold after that date with no serial number
You will be okay a lot of the smaller boats do not have registrations or registrations numbers on them I went through it last year and was able to get mine registered to put a motor on it you will be okay

Yes - It is all about the money for the state. A buddy of mine gave me an old snowmobile years ago which I would used primarily only on my property to check traps in the winter. I decided to register it as sometimes I would take a ride and leave my property with it...and to get it out of my buddies' name as he had had it registered in Wisconsin.

When I got to the SOS and told them it was given to me by a friend, they said it still had to have some value so they valued it at $100 and I had to pay $6 sales tax on it...plus the 3 year registration sticker for it, of course.

A few years into my charter business we decided to move the business into an LLC. Our attorney drafted all of the paperwork and I took the title to our boat to the SOS to transfer title to the LLC. Guess what? They wanted me to pay 6% sales tax on it again. I told them I already paid $9,000 sales tax on the boat when I purchased it. Didn't matter, I had to pay sales tax on the value of the boat again. Wasn't going there so I kept the boat in my own name to avoid the double dipping...
I went through 6 trips to the sos getting my name on a boat registration, had the mc #'s on the boat, original registration was lost, what a pita. sos did give me a hull identification number to stamp into the hull.
Many were just a tag screwed/nailed to the transom board too. If that transom board rots the little metal tag normally gets lost. I am pretty sure that's what happened to my little pram.
Boat made back in the 60's did not usually have serial numbers on them. Sometimes if they did you had to flip the boat over as it was stamped into the rail around the top of the boat on the bottom side. I think it was sometime in the 70's that they had to have a serial number, but who knows how many were made before that and sold after that date with no serial number
Reactions: Scout 2
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.