which rod?

Votes: 12 80.0%

Votes: 3 20.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oppurtunity at getting a noodle rod for steelies for like dirt cheap for a well known brand. For some reason, I can't recall the name. Anyways, I can get the either in 10.5 ft or 11. 5 ft. I am basically going to be using this rod for bobber fishing and maybe fishing deep holes. If it's strong enough, maybe use it for surf fishing but I don't know. What would you get, the 10.5 or 11.5?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
For fishing with a float I've found the longer the rod the better, because you need to keep as much line off the water as possible.

I'd go with the 11.5.

Mitch

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
Dan,

For bobber fishing, they're both fine. Actually if they are that inexpensive, pick up both and give 'em a try. You can always sell the one that becomes your least favorite. For years I've used two old EagleClaw rods in 10.5 for river fishing, pier fishing, and surf fishing. One is a glass rod, and the other an inexpenseve graphite. Both are like a med-light action, and have caught hundreds of fish, especially the graphite one. The glass one is a bit too whippy. For lite lining, I've been using a 11.5 Browning/Dick Swan noodle rod. It was pretty cheap, around $50-60. It's ok, but you definitely get what you pay for! This past April, my wife bought me a 10 ft. Loomis from BB&T for my birthday. Not too pricey, around $170. Very nice all around river rod.....well made, nice feel. I've only used it a couple of times so far, no fish yet, but I sure do enjoy the feel of that stick!

Keep hittin' the books, Dan, and hope to maybe see you around the holidays at a MnG. Good Luck!!!

Rich(Mags):)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got 2 10 footers and 1 8 footer. Depending on where you're fishing, you might find the 8 footer a little easier with the trees. If you're not casting a lot, I'd go with the longer rod.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
If you can "finger" them, bring the reel you will most likely use and see how well they balance. While I would agree the extra length of a 11.5' rod will come in handy with working a float, the length is not the only thing that comes into play. Rod action, handle bias, and weight all become factors. IMO, noodle rods, rated 2-6# test, tend not to make very good float rods as the action is typically way to slow. Also, the longer the rod is, the more tip heavy the rod tends to be. That will become very tiresome during a fishing day and that can cost you some fish.

Bottom line, bring your reel and "try them on for size". Go with what feels best.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
My fave rod for bobber/spawn fishing is a 10' that I built from a 6 weight Rainshadow fly rod blank. For pure comfort, balance, fighting ability, and hook setting power, this is by far better than any rod I've ever used. As for comfort, I'm not a fan of anything over 10'...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts