Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the wallet buster (BBT :D) this morning to get a car spot set up and grab some more egg hook's. Was on the river and fishing by 7:30-8'ish. First long run produces a nice Steelie right off the bat, but the fish is still swimming with a sore mouth, pulled hook. That's ok. Couple minute's later 'bout 20yds downstream, another steelie...Lonnnnnnnnng distance release. Ok no more of that. Later on hook'd a somewhat decent hen and was hopin to get some egg's outa her, but she was dry. Buh-Bye. After releasing her and puting on another spawn bag, I hookd a good fish, but couldn't see it.....Hook come's out, then it jump's.....NOOO another lost steelie grrrrr. Once I got about half way through my float, I wasn't seing as many salmon, well i was, but they weren't moving :) Caught a couple nice brown's, that should be a pretty good size come next year. No Pic's, as i left the camera in the truck :rolleyes:

Water is low and very clear. Some spot's, I could have sworn I was fishing the Platte. All in all, 0-3 on steelies, 2-4 salmon, 2 brown's. Not a bad day, better then sitting at home. So far this fall I am 0-5 on fall run steelhead. These fishies know how to put a arial show on for ya.

Oh and i didn't see a single person on the river from Sulak to Upper. Maybe the cold kept them away.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Dale,
Thanks for the report. The Betsie is almost devoid of steelies. There are a few salmon still around and a few browns. Two weeks ago a guy, very novice fisherman, caught a 23 lb. brown at the M22 bridge at Elberta so there must be some bruiser browns moving into the system.

·
Premium Member
12,759 Posts
Dale nice report, sounds like your finding a little better fishing than I am in the lower river.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whit,
How low is the Betsie? When I was up their in Sept, it was pretty low. You could cross in places that one would not dare to cross when the water was at the rite level. The last 2 spring's I have been up their I have only hook'd into a total of 8 fish for a total of 2week's. My dad was up their for a month (sept 15-oct 15). He came home on Oct 12th do to hardly any fish moving, and low-n-clear water.

Plugger,
Thanks. It was a hard decision to decide where I was going to float, while standing in BBT and looking at the map. I thought about going up river further, but I just took a stab at the map. I fish'd a nice pod of salmon for about 1hr. Had to be at least 15 fish in a small shoot and they all look'd pretty decent.

I just hope that the Steelies keep coming. If so, I would happen to beleive that everyone will have decent winter steelheading.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Dale,
In three words "low and clear" would describe the Betsie's condition now. It has been raining off and on today and that should help a bit.

I've never seen the river below Homestead so clear. There is some clay/loam soil between the dam and M115 and that generally puts some turbidity into the water clarity, but not now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts