Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of Oneida victor #1 stop loss traps. Anyone have problems setting them? The stop loss spring (bar) really pushes up against the pan making it hard to set off. Just wondering if maybe I am doing something wrong.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes. I bought a dozen a couple of months ago. They are not as easy to set as the old design. A couple of blood blisters later and I learned what not to do. Some filing work is required on the dog and pan also.

Honestly, I don't know why I bought them. I guess it was a flashback to when I was a kid. Std longsprings with a drowner is still the simplest way to go for me.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If u have to much pan tension, try and bend the wire of the stop toward the trap a little so it sits more on the frame of the trap, only foothold I use for rats, by only I mean victors, the other brands that have the wire by the spring r a waste of time IMO

Sent from my ADR6400L using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I picked up a couple of Oneida victor #1 stop loss traps. Anyone have problems setting them? The stop loss spring (bar) really pushes up against the pan making it hard to set off. Just wondering if maybe I am doing something wrong.
Thanks
Matt

Yes something is wrong. On the victor stoploss (round pan) traps the bail (stoploss bar ) should not be in contact with the pan.

My guess is someone tried to set them without first putting the bail under the pan and in doing so bent the wire of the bail upwards so it now contacts the pan.( I do that occasionally when in the field and have been setting other brands that do not go under the pan and then start setting the victors:D) They will not work that way ,the bail needs to be straighten so it dose not contact the pan.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have been goofing around with them for a while now. The stop loss spring is barely touching the pan. It has been at least 20 years since I had some victor stop loss, for the life of me do not remember them being this hard to set. I have the dog set as light as I can to the pan, (less tension I guess). On the chain there is a curved piece of metal, I am guessing that is the hold the spring back when you are setting it. I even broke the camera out so I could share my troubles. I have either bridger or sleepy creek stop loss very easy to set.
Looking at things the right way and not backwards I found out-
The bar on the spring is bent upward toward the pan when I set it causing the tension. So I need to bend it the other way:dizzy:

Thanks for the replies, a little late getting ready.
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
That curved piece of steel has to be inserted between the stop loss arm and the spring before you bed the trap. When the trap fires the rat will straighten out the chain pull the pin out and release the stop loss arm. If that pin doesn't hold back the stop loss arm it could potentially knock the rat away from the trap. That's how I set em anyway good luck !!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
That curved piece of steel has to be inserted between the stop loss arm and the spring before you bed the trap. When the trap fires the rat will straighten out the chain pull the pin out and release the stop loss arm. If that pin doesn't hold back the stop loss arm it could potentially knock the rat away from the trap. That's how I set em anyway good luck !!
IMHO, that delay pin is insignificant, unnecessary and could be cut off ... many people never use it.

In fact, several years back, when Tom Oleson (sometimes on here aka BogMaster) helped Bill Duke redesign their #1 stoploss to mimic the old wide guard Blake and Lamb ... they purposely left the delay pin off, as most people see it as not being needed.

If u have to much pan tension, try and bend the wire of the stop toward the trap a little so it sits more on the frame of the trap, only foothold I use for rats, by only I mean victors, the other brands that have the wire by the spring r a waste of time IMO
It is funny how we all have our own tastes. I will not use a stoploss that the bail runs under the pan. I run wide bail B&L or usually the first trap I reach for is the very old square pan Vics (with the wire dog) or the old Pioneer equivalent.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A little bit of heat and some soft taps and all fixed. Thanks for the replies.
The stop loss bar is pretty strong, got whacked a couple of times, not being careful.:dizzy:
Thanks again. Hope everyone is ready to go. Not to much longer.
Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts