Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took 2 of my 3 boys out to the shack tonight and within 5 mins my 2 yr old had fired my #1 pike killer into the hole and all I could do was watch as it went deeper, deeper and deeper. It now is in about 12 FOW under some coontail. It was a jointed deke with spinner blade tail. Took me alot of time to get that thing to swim just how I wanted it too. It looked about as realistic as a decoy could look (swimming wise). Gonna get a big magnet and hopefully this has a happy ending. I am hoping the magnet will stick to the Colorado blade that is on the tail. I already have started working on the lookalike....hopefully by tomorrow or weds I will have the original back in my box.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
That stinks! Every time i'm hooking up a decoy i think about "what if". I had a zippo fall out of my pocket one time. It disapeared in the weds. was able to get it days later with magnet. Hopefully there is enough metal that you will get it back. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that's a tough one. Funny but not at all funny! I makes a good story to tell him or her when they are older.
Yeah funny but not funny all at the same time. I just kept telling myself......he is 2 he didn't know any better......he saw me throwing them into the hole.......but mine were hooked to the decoy lines. Lol. I am pretty hopeful I can retrieve it. Although I am sure I can make one just like it there's something about each decoy that is special.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Is there a split ring, swivel or hole that you could get a hook into and snag it to recover? I have used jigging Rapalas to recover dropped stuff before. You could also try to laseu it with some line attached to a stick /pole.

I have a spring loaded claw in my garage that grabs dropped stuff in difficult spots. No reason you shouldn't be able to recover it with a little time and desire to make it happen.

Good luck fishing ;)

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did snag it once tonight before it got covered in weeds. If I can see it I am sure I can recover it. The problem right now is the weeds. I might get my brothers under water cam. Seems like a lot of effort for a little cedar and paint don't it. I am not too worried though. If we can launch a washing machine into space and get it to stick to a meteor or whatever it was I should be able to get a decoy in 12 fow back.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Something to try. (maybe last resort) It would take a bit of work but... Take a bunch of broom sticks/ rods ect. and tape them together on a landing net and start dredging.

·
Darkhouse Ninja
5,615 Posts
Something to try. (maybe last resort) It would take a bit of work but... Take a bunch of broom sticks/ rods ect. and tape them together on a landing net and start dredging.

My buddy did that with a cell phone in 18' and it still works to this day, lol
Good luck hope you get it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Let me know if you can't get it. I have a really strong magnet about the size of a hockey puck that's already mounted on a 5 foot wooden handle. If there is metal on the deke, it would get it.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me know if you can't get it. I have a really strong magnet about the size of a hockey puck that's already mounted on a 5 foot wooden handle. If there is metal on the deke, it would get it.
Ryan was telling me about that magnet I am going to stop by at TSC today at some point and grab one. It would be a good thing to have in the shack anyway.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Ryan was telling me about that magnet I am going to stop by at TSC today at some point and grab one. It would be a good thing to have in the shack anyway.

I've never used the one from TSC but they are usually right by the registers in the value bins or whatever they call them. They are yellow with a loop handle that would help to attach it to a pole or rope. The one I have is one my f-i-l fashioned to a broom handle for picking up nails on the job sites. Not sure what he used but I can pick up my 15lb anchor with it.

·
Registered
18,294 Posts
That yellow one is what I carry with 1/4 inch rope in the boat. It fits in a coffee can .
Threaded sections could help reaching at that depth. Chimney cleaning rods or similar.
A grappling hook might help work with weeds a little. A single piece of round stock bent with a three or four inch gap even could grapple as a hook.
Magnet should stick it . If not a noose at end of whatever you are reaching with.
Patience I guess. Good fishin to ya.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
A magnet will not stick to most Colorado blades, they are plated brass in most cases...

But the eyelet might be steel and a rare earth magnet would pick it up by that pretty easy, if you can get the weeds moved a little....

I have taken more than a couple things back from Davey Jones just blindly using a jigging rap LOL... But not in weeds...

Good luck man!

<*)))>{

·
Registered
420 Posts
If your magnet recovery efforts don't work (and I hope they do) you might try marking that spot on a hand held GPS and try a set of mask, fins and snorkel when the hardwater season is over---12 FOW ain't that deep---just my $0.02--RLM

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
If your magnet recovery efforts don't work (and I hope they do) you might try marking that spot on a hand held GPS and try a set of mask, fins and snorkel when the hardwater season is over---12 FOW ain't that deep---just my $0.02--RLM
Did this trick way before GPS's were around but you could use it to define the spot. Drop a line with a weight on it and a large bobber or a jug on the other end, make the line long enough to let the bobber/bottle float close to the top, it will help you find the spot once the ice melts. Have done this several times in past to go back after ice out to recover spuds, spears, rods and what not that has gone down a hole during the winter. ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
i dropped my ice saw in the hole and luckily it just missed the weed bed i was on the edge of, i had to wait for my wife to bring me a magnet from the garage. it did take a couple of pulls to get it out of the muck but i did get it. now i always have a magnet and paracord in the shanty.
here a video of it, lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts