Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got out about 2:30 or so and went a little south , seen ALOT of 3-5inch perch in the hole, only 1 decent one, about 8" came thru and my 8 yr old daughter caught him, was great to see her bobber dive and her eyes light up, first time ice fishin for her, to bad nuttin else happened after that... wanna say THANKS to the guys who let me use their 4 wheeler to drag my shanty and daughter to my van, worked out good as my van was hooked to jumper cables to theirs...LOL will be goin out again sunday or monday.. anyone interested in goin and hookin up let me know..

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats good to know, i was thinkin it was just me and my inability to catch fish thru the ice...lol still waitin for someone to show me how to catch a good mess of em... :D

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Shane,

I seem to remember you catching them just fine through the ice a while back......Congrats on the daughters first fish!!

Harry

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is true Harry, u put me on some good fish that day and i didnt have to work hard at em either... just lookin to get into a bunch of perch, hearin alot about pike to, might give them a shot.. i can get out almost anytime, anyone wants to go gimme a yell...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I fished just north of selfridge from about 12 - 5 kept 5 fish 7-8 inches. the fish just werent there. Had a total of three diferent small schools move through, and when they did it was fast but they were gone just as quick as they came.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Sounds like a "run and gun" situation...I'll be ready to drill 50 holes if I have to. It will help me stay warm too:) . I'll be out there by 7 am tomorrow moving and moving and moving...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I did do alot of moving for those five fish. Although I caught them all in one hole. It took alot of moves before I could even find any fish. And I just realized today the blades on my hand auger are losing ther edge, make for a nice work out.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Yeah the was rather brutal. I guess i could of been worse but they were only predicting a 5 - 7 mph wind. Id have to say it was more like 15 mph.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one with the bottom of my bucket still showing today. Slooowwww going guys.......thanks for the reports and Good Luck !! :eek:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was out there Friday night and only had two fish from about 3:00-5:15. Nobody was getting a thing and everyone was leaving around 5:00. From about 5:15 - 5:45 I got about about 25 fish with 16 of them being really nice ones. I was still getting them when I left but I couldn't see anymore. Only a few other people stayed that late and they were getting fish too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
same story here, caught bout 5 fish all throw backs, some I saw were same size as the minnow. They were definitely lathargic and matter of factly about the bait. The ones I caught came on wax worms, they would just come up and bump the minnow and swim away. Later activity is definitely better. Ive stayed later too and that seems to be when the jumbos come through. But I use the shanty and sight to cull my fish too, so once it gets too dark to see down the hole I usually bag it and head in (usually about 5pm). Will be back out tomorrow am good luck to all.....what am I saying, it sounds like we only have one way to go but up after this afternoon??? ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Slow is they way it goes, pulled 5 from 14:00 hrs.- 18:00 hrs, that's why it's fishing and not harvesting, but what about that sun set? wo-wo wo:rolleyes: , hiting it again today, good luck to one and all, stay warm, they will go today, due to a front that is comming in drive safe :cool: ~~~><>.....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
JB 10 WROTE

"I was out there Friday night and only had two fish from about 3:00-5:15. Nobody was getting a thing and everyone was leaving around 5:00. From about 5:15 - 5:45 I got about about 25 fish with 16 of them being really nice ones. I was still getting them when I left but I couldn't see anymore. Only a few other people stayed that late and they were getting fish too"

ive been telling everyone here in all my posts to only fish first light and last....THEY ONLY BITE THEN

why anyone would waste all day on the ice, other than to get wasted, is beyond me

was thinking of trying it tomorrow or tues, but the forecast is calling for heavy east winds, and you know what that means

WHITE TIP

you gotta stay out there until you cant see...they bite even when you think its too dark...just put your bait down and prop your rod up a bit on the ice and watch the tip...youll get em long after you can see anything

·
Registered
805 Posts
It sounds like a common theme. I started fishing about 3:30pm, in front of the cove, which is about halfway between the launch and the barracks. I did not have a hit until about 5:15, I moved several times between the original area and the barracks. I went out as far as the pressure crack. I ended up catching 7 fish, only 1 worth keeping, before I called it quits just before 6:00pm. Talked to a guy in the parking lot who fished the same area and he said they had a few keepers, whatever a few means. He got his fish on minnows. Conservation Officer in the lot said they had been getting them towards the barracks...the past few days. Also, the C.O.'s were checking for ORV liscense's and helmets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts