Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is your official thread for the rest of the season guys.

Please note you will not have a member representing you in the MS vs OS contest.

Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Team 26
Just One More - gun
7MM Magnum - combo
Wolf Dancer34 - combo
BuckRubnMI - bow
lawnguy - combo
mtan1104 - bow
woodychevy38s - combo

BuckRubnMI reporting in!! This is going to be a blast :D

·
Premium Member
30,938 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Howdy team mates! I just got home from work and notice our team thread has already started up so I'm here to check in and acknowledge our thread.

Just a little background for you all about me,... started hunting at 13 in archery mode and been doing it ever since. I had a 2 year hiatus due to being drafted to Nam, but I picked it back up upon my return home. ;) I go out West every other year for elk and hunt with bow, rifle, and handgun. (scoped S&W #629 .44 Mag)

Born and raised in lower Michigan but I moved North back in 1990 and been up here ever since. First in Charlevoix till 2000 then to the sunrise side of the state. I own a 80 acre farm here that is home to quite a few whitetails. (corn-fed no less :lol:)

MAN,... are we gonna' kill us some venison or what! :coolgleam

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Hmmmm,... just notice we don't have a banner yet,.. nor a team name. :(

BuckRubnMI seeing it seems your our designated team spokesperson.

(an' you ought to be after seeing that DANDY buck in your photo gallery ;))

Have you come up with anything yet?

Personally I don't have the where with all to make one up, I can copy and paste with the best of em' BUT as far as adding each team members name to it ,.. I haven't a clue. :sad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
sorry for the later response... but I am here and checking the trail cam weekly, so far the best ones I have got (I have been taking the pics from the middle of a buckwheat planting, think I have the two big boys scouted out to be able to cut them off in the narrows of the hardwoods)

anyone very good on guess of age? I am a meat hunter first, if I have the chance I will have no problems with the decision to fill a tag with a doe (I would rather eat venison all year for sure) but with the time and effort put into the area this year I have been seeing 5-10 different bucks and I think I am on track to pinning down the trails they use for sure.

Anyone have any good tips/tricks that they use?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yeah I can get a banner going. Redmission says we are stuck with the name Vital Time but I like it. I'll start working on it right now.

Alittle about me: I've been deer hunting for 10 years all in Newaygo and Muskegon counties. All kills with a bow. The first three years of my life was in Georgia on a navel base and the rest of the time in Muskegon County. I hunt 120 acres of private land in Muskegon county and also have a few spots on state land I like to hunt as well. Pretty good deer numbers on the property but hard to hunt. I've been passing up yearling bucks the past 3 years and its starting to show. No older bucks on cam yet this year but it doesn't discourage me. They will come. Pre-rut is a beautiful thing on this property.

As far as this contest goes, I can guarantee a doe. 2.5 yr old or older, hard to say. If I don't get a chance at one, Theres a good chance on a second doe in late season bow.

WoodChevy, my advice is to try to not hunt the same stand more than twice in a row. Then stay out of that area for awhile. Also during pre-rut don't be afraid to do all day hunts. Last year I hunted Halloween to Nov. 4th all day every day and seen 7 different bucks, 3 of them between 11am and 2PM. The big one I seen from a distance at 12:30PM on Nov 2nd. My dad ended up taking that one during rifle season. I'll try to get a pic up of him, hes a dandy 8pt!!

Nice bucks, I would say 1.5 for the closer deer, 2.5 for the furthest.

Also I don't know if I'm the designated spokesmen, but I will do it. I work second shift so I won't be able to get online until after midnight during the week. Sometimes early in the morning. Its up to you guys.

LETS FILL THE FREEZER BOYS AND GIRLS!!! :D

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'm happy with it as well, however as you can see below in my signature line it's somewhat smaller than the one in yours. :(

When I went to upload it from the address in the properties tag,... it told me the file was too large to do so.

So I downloaded it to my laptops picture folder,... then uploaded it to the add picture to the signature line box here on the site and the size displayed below is what I came up with. :sad:

So what did I do wrong ?? :dizzy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
nice deer, yeah I was unsure on ages, as of four years ago if you saw a 6 point it was a "big" deer for around this area west of traverse city. There were few and far between 10's. I have been adding minerals, spring, summer and fall food plots and when the food gets too frozen in, hay/oats/corn. The racks and bodies of the deer have really changed over the past couple of years. I had two guys at work ask if they could lease the property when they saw the pics if that gives you a clue as to our "big" buck potential, or so it seems

had the two bucks back again tonight, about 50 feet from the house (we have horses, dogs, and cats- deer are very used to them) the one cat walked right over to them they just sat there confused looking at her. My new blind may just be my office.... sorry no pics tonight was to content just to watch them, both still in velvet.

·
Registered
427 Posts
7MM,
Instead of going to the upload signature picture portion at the bottom, just copy the URL out of the properties and paste into your edit signature portion towards the top where you typed in:
Terry Webster
Life Member NRA
RMEF Sponsoring Member
US Army Veteran, SGT. 1970-72 1st Bn. 327th Inf.Div /101st Airborne

This should work.

·
Registered
427 Posts
nice deer, yeah I was unsure on ages, as of four years ago if you saw a 6 point it was a "big" deer for around this area west of traverse city. There were few and far between 10's. I have been adding minerals, spring, summer and fall food plots and when the food gets too frozen in, hay/oats/corn. The racks and bodies of the deer have really changed over the past couple of years. I had two guys at work ask if they could lease the property when they saw the pics if that gives you a clue as to our "big" buck potential, or so it seems quote]

Its very similar around here as well. You don't see alot of big bucks or hear of people seeing many of them.

As of four years ago, I used to shoot yearling bucks and had fun doing it. I took does too but I didn't care about management at all. Spike, 4pt, it didn't matter to me. Hell on the property I hunt now, I didn't even have sign to suggest to me there were bigger bucks in the area so I shot does and yearlings.

Then I bought a trail camera. Boy did that open my eyes quickly as to what was out there!! It changed my whole philosophy on hunting. The trail cameras taught me that just because I'm not seeing bigger bucks or even sign of them, they are there just sneaking around unnoticed.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
BuckRubn'MI,...

THANKS !

That did the trick! :D

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Well seeing I've got a lot of the things I needed to get done here on the farm for the day,... and there's 2 days left for the early private land antlerless season to go. I'll be heading out back of my property tonight to see if I can give our team some early points advantage. ;) :D

I've been seeing 4-5 does come out at around 7:40-7:50 PM so we'll see how things go. ;)

1 - 20 of 124 Posts