Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story of The Last Stand is posted on the refrigerator in the “Situation Room” here at our Lone Oak Camp. Elaine reminded me to read it before I headed out this afternoon for my last stand of the 2020 firearms deer season. I am happy that she did.

Wishing the best of luck to those of you who find yourselves in the same boat as I am today!

1DC3D86D-6C55-490B-AC80-E12C427199F1.jpeg

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
This story of The Last Stand is posted on the refrigerator in the “Situation Room” here at our Lone Oak Camp. Elaine reminded me to read it before I headed out this afternoon for my last stand of the 2020 firearms deer season. I am happy that she did.

Wishing the best of luck to those of you who find yourselves in the same boat as I am today!

View attachment 610375
That was nice read. Thanks for sharing it Wild Thing.

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Thank you for posting.

I think the author could understand why I never want to tag out, I just don't want to be done. I hunt a decent amount all the way to the bitter end. Most years I hunt New Year's day, mostly because I just don't want to say goodbye to the solemn quiet evenings of the woods in winter.

Rifle season is over in a few minutes (kind of, I know)....and I am glad, the woods need a little reprieve from the ruckus, and I want to get back to scouting more and hunting the public ground without a flack jacket.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I prefer the last few days. Most of the Riff Raff is gone.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I felt like I was reading my own thoughts. Now in my later years I realize more than ever how much the last stand means to me. Thanks for sharing.
You put my exact thoughts down before I could. I understand the words and I know the exact feeling being relayed in this article.

"...there is a moment of something like sadness when you stand at the camp door and say goodbye for a year. As I look around over the land and forest, I thought of the snow that would come inevitably, the road closed in drifts...." - Edmund Ware Smith

This is how I feel and what I do every year I leave deer camp. Every year it seems to get a bit more sad. 37 years have passed since my first deer camp in the Big woods of Glennie and as the years pass the camp gets fewer in numbers. Some can't make it, some don't hunt anymore, and my best hunting partner, my dad, is getting up there in age and isn't able to go at it like he used to.

Yes, I understand that article completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Great read. This is the very reason I have hunted as much as I have this year. With this being my 30th. year of bowhunting (damn I'm getting old) I want to experience every Last Stand I can as we never know when our "Last Stand" could be. Looking forward to freezing my butt off during late archery season......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts