Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, for the third time already this Fall, I saw one again.

There it was.
Lying on the side of the road.
Just South of Bad Axe.
On M-53.

“The Elusive Headless Deer.”

In my 25+ years of deer hunting, I have yet to spot one of these “Headless Deer” in the wild. However, year after year I have spotted them, bodies still intact, lying dead along the roadside.

Now it’s pretty easy to understand how a “Headless Deer” could get hit by a car, but they sure do make all “Does” you see lying dead...look pretty stupid. ;)

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Sumbudy mite ah hit a buck. need dem horns fer decerations. Good to keep a saw in da truck fer when dat mite happen.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Sumbudy mite ah hit a buck. need dem horns fer decerations. Good to keep a saw in da truck fer when dat mite happen.

always have the Gerber bone saw in both vehicals for such an occasion...

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
Today, for the third time already this Fall, I saw one again.

There it was.
Lying on the side of the road.
Just South of Bad Axe.
On M-53.

“The Elusive Headless Deer.”

In my 25+ years of deer hunting, I have yet to spot one of these “Headless Deer” in the wild. However, year after year I have spotted them, bodies still intact, lying dead along the roadside.

Now it’s pretty easy to understand how a “Headless Deer” could get hit by a car, but they sure do make all “Does” you see lying dead...look pretty stupid. ;)
being a local up there I ask that you please give me the reason why you would venture up this way and ask that you please to not reveal the population of headless deer we have. Thanks:eek:ne_eye:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have seen these headless deer also. Also like to point out that it is illegal to take the head of a deer hit by a car. I don't see it as a big deal but be careful doing it because there is a ticket and fine if you get caught.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I have seen these headless deer also. Also like to point out that it is illegal to take the head of a deer hit by a car. I don't see it as a big deal but be careful doing it because there is a ticket and fine if you get caught.
Are you serious? If I hit a deer I'm going to take what ever meat I can and the horns too. At least I can enjoy a meal or two while the truck is getting fixed in the shop. I have never heard of such a law, but now a days they make them up as you go. I'm not saying there isn't a law but dang!

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Are you serious? If I hit a deer I'm going to take what ever meat I can and the horns too. At least I can enjoy a meal or two while the truck is getting fixed in the shop. I have never heard of such a law, but now a days they make them up as you go. I'm not saying there isn't a law but dang!

To pick up a dead deer be it hit by your vehicle or laying dead in the ditch you DO by law need a permit..... It is illegal to take a dead deer either parts or whole without that permit.........also illegal to possess a spotted deer... Been that way for decades and decades and decades...ANY LEO or CO may issue this free permit

Not hard to find these laws/rules.......

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
.......also illegal to possess a spotted deer........
Didn't know about the spotted deer thing...
Bummer. I always wanted to get the hides from a couple of fawns to make seat covers for my old jeep. All those pretty spots, nice soft fur.
But I am kinda sick like that.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Didn't know about the spotted deer thing...
Bummer. I always wanted to get the hides from a couple of fawns to make seat covers for my old jeep. All those pretty spots, nice soft fur.
But I am kinda sick like that.

Yep can't even get a permit for one......... They would make neat seat covers though...:lol:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
To pick up a dead deer be it hit by your vehicle or laying dead in the ditch you DO by law need a permit..... It is illegal to take a dead deer either parts or whole without that permit.........also illegal to possess a spotted deer... Been that way for decades and decades and decades...ANY LEO or CO may issue this free permit

Not hard to find these laws/rules.......
Well I guess thats why there are so many rotting on the shoulder of the roads. Honestly I never thought there would be a law about it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The DNR caught me cutting a head off a few years ago. All he did was check to make sure there were no holes from a shot then said "enjoy your new set of rattlin horns".

·
Registered
230 Posts
The DNR caught me cutting a head off a few years ago. All he did was check to make sure there were no holes from a shot then said "enjoy your new set of rattlin horns".
you got caught by a good DNR. If you hit a deer and want to keep it they can issue a tag for you to keep it. That is at officers discretion which I would think they would give it to you since they dont have to clean the mess up.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I always thought these headless deer were part of the Michigan version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, it being October and all...

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
I don’t know if its still the case but the DNR use to collect so many heads from each county to check for TB. Road kills were an easy way to get some heads. Also some cops are deer hunters ;).

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Yes but the caveat about WHO can get one omits the general public.....
not unless it has been change in the last couple years. . . in the basement parents have a full body mount of a doe, and a spotted fawn that was hit by a car in the spring. got a permit for it. . its about the size of a large cat. . .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts