Crayfish Fly Pattern
- TMC 300
- 2 - 6
- Black, brown or olive 3/0
- Optional, but probably a good idea
- Small tag of palmered rust rabbit strip
- Palmered rabbit olive or rust
- Two rabbit strips olive or rust
- Spun deer hair olive or rust
This fly is tied backwards. Spin your deer hair first at the bend of the hook with the tips pointing back. You should end up with about a 1/2" bunch of hair.
Next clip the hair in a cone head fashion. The thick part of the cone should be towards the eye of the hook. This separates your pincers. Leave a couple of tips to act as antennae.
Tie in the two rabbit strip pinchers. They are tied in halfway up the hook shank on each side with the leather sides of the strips facing each other. The strip on the shank will add bulk for the body.
Finally, tie in a rabbit strip at the base of the head and palmer it to the eye. Leave a small piece of the strip hang over the eye to act as a tail. Whip finish and you are done.
Here's one with eye tied on.
- Credit for this fly goes to Kelly Galloup, pictures submitted by "Gunrod".