Blog entries by Shoeman

1. [img] Here in the Great Lakes there are several decent windows for catching steelhead. For the "Upper Lakes" fall is a great opportunity when fishable numbers come in to feast on salmon roe. Some of these fish will winter-over in deeper holes, but most are quite lethargic and need to be...
  2. [IMG] I'm often asked what my go-to bass fly is. Well, there's several I won't be without depending on conditions and forage, but the Calcasieu Pig Boat is usually the first to get wet, especially once the water warms. It was Tom Nixon that developed it back in 1951. I have toyed with...
  3. [img] Won't be long, ice-out! For the last 6 years "specs" have become my favorite target on the fly rod. Some years are better than others, but we always manage a trophy or two a season. We have caught them as early as the end of March and right into Summer, but that's when it gets tough...
  4. Finally after several pattern changes and trying different sections below the fast water, I found them. The floodwater must have taken its toll on the fish. The were concentrated on the soft edges of eddies and not in the regular feeding lanes. We found the same true in every stop we made....
  5. What an incredible trip After a Southwestern brunch consisting of smoked brisket, BBQ'd chicken, ribz and the fixings, we hit the road on a long journey through the Northern mountainous region of Arizona. Several elevation changes made the drive a true pleasure. Just short of Flagstaff, Bill...
  6. I took her to a place they call the 3 Sisters. It's 3 springs within a small area and a place for the scuba divers to swim with them. Unfortunately most of the manatees had moved out to feed after being stuck in the spring for over week do to the temps. Again, much like the trout they were...
  7. What a trip considering the low temps that neared 100 years of keeping records King's Bay is the headwaters of the Crystal River fed by numerous springs that stay at a constant 72*, a perfect magnet for anything that swims in the Gulf. It is a destination for scuba divers from around the...