Zone change proposal

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Zorba, Sep 4, 2019.

1. grassmaster

grassmaster

For years you guys said get over it, it will never change because of Saginaw bay, well guess what, things do change.
    we may even see a split someday.
    Next change should be to make open waters of the great lakes open to
    Old Squaws and Scoters until Jan 1.

chromer101 and Sampsons_owner like this.
  2. Brougham

Brougham

Still an upcoming issue. Thought I'd resurface this.

3. Brougham

Brougham

Some small water freeze for portions of the season. Most big water areas stayed open. Stale birds in popular areas.
    Average year?

4. Chez29

Chez29

Hopefully it passes for zone 1. Tired of having 45 day seasons

5. The Doob

The Doob

A little year end review gives some perspective to what motivates my personal feelings regarding moving Saginaw Bay into Zone 2.
    Full disclosure - my hunting took place on the open waters of Saginaw Bay from Sebewaing to Bay City (final hunt was off of Augres).
    Total Hunts: 27
    7 hunt snap shots:
    10/12 to 10/18 = 71 ducks
    10/21 to 10/29 = 74 ducks
    10/23 to 11/1 = 76 ducks
    11/2 to 11/18 = 46 ducks
    11/20 to 12/5 = 4 Oldsquaw hunts, 39 ducks

There were a total of 11 hunts in November with 76 ducks taken, including 22 Oldsquaw.

There were 15 total hunts in October with 159 ducks taken.

The only hunt that would have been eliminated from 2019 season with the Bay in zone 2 would have been the final hunt on 12/5 when 17 Oldsquaw were taken. This was the only hunt that took place the last week of the season, mainly due to poor weather (wind).

A week of the season was lost mainly due to ice. This would have happened regardless of what zone the Bay was in.
    This was the best year we have had since my son started keeping records in 2006

6. LoBrass

LoBrass Premium Member

The best thing that could and should happen would be to give each and every state a minimum 75 day season. The Feds are seriously considering expanding this opportunity.

The sad thing is that they are considering this because we have lost so many waterfowlers within the flyway. Bleeding hunters is not good and we should all put it on our shoulders to invite newbies to hunt waterfowl.

75+ days would help to solve most of our issues. And, we could put the Bay in zone 2 where, IMO, it belongs.

The last 2 years have seen freeze ups that have closed nearly all the inland marshes for extended periods and thus we have lost a ton of opportunity. The refuge counts confirm that birds leave when the marshes freeze. Weather is always going to shape our seasons and the later we open the more likely we are to lose days to frozen water. Earlier seasons ensure the most opportunity, that simply can't be denied. Longer seasons just allow us to start early AND go late.

Sign me up for 75+ days.

7. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

Shortage of waterfowl hunters my azz... I’ve hunted waterfowl all around this country and it’s the same old shat year after year competing for birds... Only shortage of hunters that I see are the deer hunters... And that’s because they can’t sit their azzes on a bait pile no more. Changing season to 75+ No way - Take it as you get it, there is no way to control the weather...That’s hunting.

goose schatt and ajkulish like this.
  8. duckbuster2

duckbuster2

75 days no zones start the first of October run the straight 75 days and that's it.I would sure like to try it.

9. craigrh13

craigrh13

Duck hunter numbers are down by 1 million since 1970 and continue to decline yearly. With less areas to hunt you have more people packed into less available areas making it appear there’s more hunters.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    ajkulish and duckcommander101 like this.
  10. craigrh13

craigrh13

I haven’t heard about 75 days but i do know they are currently modeling 67 day seasons. So that’s a real possibility.

I also know that they are discussing a dual license system that will be tested out in 3 central states as early as next year. You will have you’re standard 6 duck license option and then a “3 splash” license option. Where you can only shoot 3 ducks but it can be any 3 ducks regardless of specie or sex. So 3 cans, 3 redheads, 3 hen mallards, etc.

11. ajkulish

ajkulish

What is the benefit of the splash license? Is it cheaper or something?

12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

"“3 splash” license option"

How about three thumps for us field guys?

13. population control

population control

Is this decline just in Michigan ?

14. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

3 splash... if opted in...does it result in a longer season? Theory of more hunting days but less 4-6 bird days?

15. craigrh13

craigrh13

Same amount of hunting days. The theory is more hunting days has a more drastic effect on the population then higher limits.