Zone 3 muzzleloader until New Years?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by jiggin is livin, Nov 24, 2020.

1. springIstrutfallIrut

springIstrutfallIrut

Its pretty bad...

Spot on.

- we have not seen any long term effects of the recent regulation changes. We have been benefiting from the way things used to be. Why can't we have a regular muzzleloader season and a late anterless season anymore??? I don't get it

Dish7, Chessieman and Ieatshrooms like this.
  2. fishdip

fishdip

I believe they would of worded it as TAKING A ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS DEER IF IT WAS LEGAL TO DO SO.I don't think you can shoot a buck with a muzzleloader during late antlerless.

3. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

That is the think about wording in legal documents. It has to be precise. Any is not a precise word by definition is used to express a lack of restriction in selecting one of a specified class. They should have worded it to say that any tag can be used to take an antlerss deer, not that any deer can be taken

jiggin is livin likes this.
  4. jatc

jatc

I don’t see what the confusion is about. Seems pretty clear to me as written.

Yes, you can shoot ANY deer with a muzzleloader on zone 3 public during the late antlerless season as long as you have the proper tag for the animal you harvest.

5. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Guess we will see in next month's " cuffs and collars" .

6. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

I'm in !! better shoot the smoke pole :)

When it GETS cold there's very few guy's on "my" public...very few

:)

easier to ask forgiveness then permission under this circumstance !! hence confusions..

I run into CO's often on my buggy. I'll confirm this with them. Boy oh boy. I'm excited. Should be pretty easy to see what the deer are doing with snow on the ground !! handicap-cripple but I've got a buggy ;)

7. Botiz

Botiz

That’s how I understand it. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

8. fishpig

fishpig

I showed this to the CO that stopped by our camp on opening day. He agreed with me that the way it was worded you could take any deer with a valid permit. He said he would try and get an official answer but I never heard back from him. Screenshot_20200822-132410~2.png

jiggin is livin likes this.
  9. ArrowFlinger

ArrowFlinger

Just think about it. The real goal was to simplify the rules. Complete failure

langkg, 3X8, michiganreaper and 7 others like this.
  10. wallyg

wallyg

Yep....... You can take a buck with your buck tag with a muzzleloader on PUBLIC land in zone 3 during late anterless season. Not on private land! You can tag a doe with ANY tag
    during all other seasons. Yes Your 450 or 350 can be used during muzzle season. Kinda like letting crossbows being used during "ARCHERY" season. I kinda agree with adjusting the buck/ doe ratio. Would rather see it going back to a one buck rule. IMO

twiliter, Go Lions!!!! and fishpig like this.
  11. Yankee#1

Yankee#1

Is this a Cousin Ed and Clark Griswald kinda question?

The subsection is listed specifically under the ‘Antlerless’ section. Sorry, but I read this as the exception is they’ve opened antlerless season to include using a ML on public land, not just private. The letter then further defined antlerless as doe, buck that has shed, BB or spike less than 3.

I would personally recommend NOT shooting a buck during antlerless season, on either private or public lands...

I guess another way that I think about it...

If you were reading the whitetail deer regs and it said that in Zone 1 you could shoot ‘any animal with antlers’ - would you assume that implied you could shoot a bull elk?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Bucman and November Sunrise like this.
  12. wallyg

wallyg

Yep, You are correct..........PUBLIC LAND........M/L only
    You can take a buck during anterless season
    Clark Griswold

jiggin is livin and Go Lions!!!! like this.
  13. Go Lions!!!!

Go Lions!!!!

Why are some people refusing to believe this??? Do they not believe the part that you can use any firearm in zone 3 even though it’s under the “muzzleloader season” section. It’s plain written English. Shouldn’t be hard to understand!!! Dang it...got drawn back in to this thread!!! 4F6DB38B-4830-4E29-813C-D60C511F06DF.gif

14. Tracker83

Tracker83 Premium Member

Here is the language from the actual Wildlife Conservation Order, WCO 3.101(7) (private land during late antlerless), and WCO 3.101(7)(b) (public land during late antlerless):
    Note how in private section they are sure to exactly specify the harvest of antlerless deer only, while in the public land section it states "any deer". I believe the language here is crystal clear allowing you to shoot an antlered buck on PUBLIC land with only a MUZZLELOADER during the late antlerless season.
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/ChapterIII_128581_7.pdf

shumhow, o_mykiss, jatc and 7 others like this.
  15. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

LMAO. A crossbow is archery........

I like that they finally threw a bone to public land hunters. We can't have bait like private, but we can shoot their bucks! Lol