close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Zone 2 opener reports

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Jerry Lamb, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

That's a fine looking Stormy on the lad O.G.

Outdoor Gal likes this.
  2. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

He loves it! Both mine and my hubby's shrunk over time so each of the kids have one now. Lol.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

babs2699 likes this.

3. adam bomb

adam bomb

It was poor. The very worst opener in Z2 we've ever had. Went from 800-1000 geese and mallards in a single field to nothing. Our other fields dried up as well. We scouted really hard and found very little. I thought with the warm weather they'd be on the big water. We didnt even find them on the larger lakes in the area. We tried our plan B on Sunday and that pretty much got wrecked due to some guys skybusting at the birds coming off the roost.I think we woulda did alright there.

Imo the birds migrated with that full moon. Lots of silage cutband not much to eat. We had geese flying an hour before daylight yesterday heading south too....that's hunting, we'll get em next time

4. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

Pretty sure the woodcock we got into Sunday were fresh birds. They'd bump and fly maybe 40 yards. The dog even caught one! They acted very tired.

Noticed what seemed to be be new geese locally this morning too. Birds do seem to be moving.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

babs2699 and adam bomb like this.
  5. pikemaster789

pikemaster789

Worst opener for me too in recent years. Had plenty of wood duck on a pond during early goose season, expecting average numbers on the opener. Me and a buddy killed one, not many flying. Went to jump shooting some beaver ponds that normally produce and only put up 4 birds. Kind of baffled

babs2699 likes this.
  6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Buddy hunted one swamp over from where I scouted. Usually he's at breakfast by nine. Never picked up his gun.

7. Buckshot556

Buckshot556

Three of us hunted up in cheboygan county. Saw very little and they stayed far from shore. Never pulled the trigger. Tried to save face grouse hunting...heard em flushing but never saw them

babs2699 likes this.
  8. adam bomb

adam bomb

Like I said in my earlier post you're not alone. All week through Thursday things looked about as sure a slam dunk for us as it gets. Birds in the fields like clockwork. Friday was oh **** day. And despite our best efforts scouting we just couldn't find any numbers. They chopped a lot of corn in our area. Between lack of food in the chopped fields and the moon I think they just boogied.

Despite the low bird numbers Z2 duck camp was a solid success. Great friends, we ate like kings. Saginaw Bay yellowbellies, American fries and cole slaw Friday, Biscuts and gravy, fried eggs and American fries for breakfast and Ribeyes and Ollie oil on Saturday, shaved ribeye breakfast burritos Sunday post hunt. And to ice the cake I took my 19 week old pup out on a prospecting hunt on a little pond and she made a retrieve on a wood duck. Awesome opener!
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1507588728.327532.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1507588750.906511.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1507588779.509289.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1507588832.022473.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1507588865.619674.jpg

9. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Your making me hungry as for them mojos I prefer this is me every one has there own opinion. I like my mojos as close to the ground/water as i can get the higher up the more it looks like they are flaring. That's a personal preference that I've found worked through trial and error. They still see the wings way down on the ground as much as above the corn. Idk it's just personal preference.

babs2699 likes this.
  10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

And I run a 15' pole. Sometimes we have the 15' then a 5', then two right on the ground to make it look like they're all landing.

I have seen it though when everyone is running 5-8' poles, if you put them on the ground, you do better, as its something different.

babs2699 likes this.
  11. adam bomb

adam bomb

They're the standard mojo poles. They look super tall in the pics but we were sitting lower than the decoys in a depression with tall grass that gave us a great hide.

babs2699 and Aaronjeep2 like this.
  12. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

It's all personal preference don't take my comment the wrong way.

13. adam bomb

adam bomb

No offense taken sir. After your comment I did think man those look tall.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  14. good4080

good4080

Missed a bufflehead. Only saw a few more birds. Didn't go out in the morning.

15. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Ok my bad now that I looked again that's about what 2-3 foot corn stubble ? My bad mojo poles are good Length. I've had a few to many beers tonight.