close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Zone 2 opener reports

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Jerry Lamb, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

Well? Couldn't have been good, took me Sunday at 6:00 to start an opener thread. We shot 10 lost 4 including a longneck. We had a .20 and a .16 in the boat. Not enough gun. Stupid. Never again. Hunter numbers down, duck #s down, walked 4 miles Friday with 3 others had 1 grouse flush. Skeeter numbers way up. This beach weather is not good. Did get another band.

2. mintgreenwalleyemachine

mintgreenwalleyemachine

We did good in some fields. Sat morn set up for duck and in the eve we got into some honkers with some bling. Today we had a good goose shoot with a bonus drake and headed home with a smile!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Pat P

Pat P

Was only able to get a quick hunt in Saturday morning. Hit my limit if you count the decoy. IMGP4213.JPG IMGP4211.JPG

4. walter sniper

walter sniper

Lol the ole decoy swat
    Love having my foam herters so when kids go my Dekes still float

5. MItransplant

MItransplant

Pair of wood ducks saturday morning off the pond. Missed many more. Went back sun morning and only had one pair role through before first shot.

Attached Files:

6. TNL

TNL

My son and I went sort of blind to a place I've only seen on google earth. it was an impromptu trip. Forgot the kill switch cord for the boat at 4:30am and already a half hour down the road. Found a store open at O'dark thirty that had one and avoided that problem. Got to the spot in the pouring rain with the GPS. Another boat comes into this half acre area afterwards and kills the engine. Really? He says something and leaves. I probably would've hunted with him had he asked. Just as well.

The ceiling was low due to the weather and good shooting light didn't come for us until hours +30. Had birds all over us early, but we couldn't positively identify them due to the darkness and heavy rain. We missed a couple of gimmes and I fouled up an easy 4some of geese fiddling with my magazine cut-off to get a different load in...new gun jitters. A lot of killable birds came on the wind with the driving rain, but it was too hard to look that way especially with glasses on.

Called the ball at 11am. Started backing down my trailer to the launch to pick up the boat and noticed one of my tires wobbling like a drunk on payday. Yep, blew a bearing. Of course, I had few tools and no parts. After about 3 hours of changing a bearing in the rain - mud- gravel, a couple of trips to the store, and a hundo lighter, I was headed home. Sunday seemed like the prudent thing to do was dry out and watch football.

babs2699 and smoke like this.
  7. spartansfan

spartansfan

Our group shot 12. A great mixed bag of Bwt, gwt, spoonie, pintails, mallards, woodies and a ringer. Should have easily had 18, but you know how opening day goes with guys trying to setup downwind at 40 yards at 630. Had to convince them how dangerous that was. They moved to 80 yards partially downwind.

T1basser likes this.
  8. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

near tc. my buddy and my son could not make it, so i hunted alone. not many flying at all. did not shoot for 60-90 minutes. saw a few single ducks gliding in to 'somewhere', went walking, found the spot. shot well, got a drake, hen, and hen redhead with a cripple that sailed too far. two times had a lone drake come in only head high, literally, but a small evergreen tree blocked me out. if they had come in 20' in the air i would have limited. still trying to find spots near tc as i will be spending more time now that i am retired - and looking for safe partners who enjoy the outdoors and have a positive outlook on life - i have enough gear to start a mini cabelas - haha

babs2699 likes this.
  9. Alex Andrzejewski

Alex Andrzejewski

Hunted a marsh near Roscommon today. Tons of woodies, absolutely everywhere. Missed where they wanted to be by about 200 yards. My group shot well below average, seems to be an unfortunate reoccurring theme. Scored on my first shot with a solid shot on a flaring mallard at about 40 yards. Beautiful day to be alive.

babs2699 likes this.
  10. smoke

smoke

Slower than we anticipated and less hunters too. Rain as everyone attested to, but we had a good time. Weather finally broke about 10:30 but so did the bird movement. We hunted until 11:00 and headed back. I watched my Spartans Saturday night. :woohoo1:

babs2699 likes this.
  11. The Fishing Pollock

The Fishing Pollock

Way slow for me too. Spent the first 2 days out front of my house watching geese fly in circles way up. This morning on a different lake is worse. 1 bird wizzing by and 3 shots to the south, other side of the lake. Going to be slow for a bit I think.

12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

We had a .20 and a .16 in the boat. Not enough gun. Stupid. Never again.

I shoot my 20 more than my 12's, and lose fewer birds with it, as I don't "try" to make shots. Burned through 2 cases with it in the last few years and can count the number of birds lost on one hand.

My northern report. Alarm goes off at 4. Swear at it and roll over. Woke up at 9:20. First northern opener I've missed in 27 years, and you know what, it didn't bother me one bit.

13. FLH

FLH

Hunted small water in Cheybogan Co. Rained so hard I had to bail the boat 3 times. Hunter numbers way up, duck numbers way down. Shot poorly,

14. JBooth

JBooth

hunted a certain midstate flooding that I'd heard gets hit hard so I went way off the back of it. Didn't seen anyone while I set up around 615. Shortly after saw a bobbing head lamp at 150 yards down range. Flashed him to let him know I was there and he might want to reconsider. 5 minutes before first light the shooting started and the birds started flying. Constant shooting from 7-8am. I bet I had 30 groups within a half mile and 4 within 200 yards, all blind to each other. It was unreal. I shot one, and lost it when it dove and didnt resurface. Watched the group across the way skybust a bunch of birds and shoot at a cormorant. Mosquitos tried to carry me off. I probably won't go there again.

babs2699 and smoke like this.
  15. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

Went up to our usual Houghton Lakeish area wood duck spot. This was the slowest it's ever been there. High water, had me guessing birds were spread out further. We never even pulled the trigger on Saturday. Just weren't where the birds wanted to be. Normally, the hubby and I stay mobile and move if we need to, but we had our boys along this year, so we were stuck to the make shift blind. No way to keep them dry and let them shoot anywhere else, especially with the higher water.

Saturday afternoon was saved with a handful of woodcock and a few more misses. Lol.

Sunday morning worked just a tad better. We had a first light pair of woodies splash in and Eli shot his very first duck on his 8th birthday! Caleb never had an opportunity so we're hoping the south opener goes quite a bit better. My husband missed a greenhead that buzzed us and that was it. Saw quite a few ringers, but they wanted the open water.

Thank heavens for woodcock again. It was hot but we found a nice pocket and in 30 minutes had 4 down. It was too hot to run the dogs any longer than that.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk