Zebco 808 for bowfishing???

Discussion in 'Bow Fishing' started by buckwacker 48097, Apr 4, 2011.

1. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

I was looking at a mounted bowfishing set up and they are right around $100... I didn't want to spen that much.
    I have a mount that holds a reel at the stablizer and thought a Zebco 808 with heavier string would work...anyone ever try it?
    What else do you use thats out there? I have an old bow I'm putting together just for this purpose.

2. mcfish

mcfish

I have a similar setup to what you describe. It works good enough for the few times a year that I use it. If I did it more I would upgrade, but for occasional use it is just fine. Just don't forget to open the bail before you shoot! :yikes:

3. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

The 808 is one of the more popular casting reels used for bowfishing...and to many, the 808 is preferred over all the current offerings. You'll have yourself a good setup!!

4. Slim1213

Slim1213

I would say it is popular, not the most though. Muzzy reels are in my opinion better and more popular. But you will have a good set.up. for the line. I would use 200 lb fast flight line.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

5. Bushbow

Bushbow

It is a Ford/Chevy thing between the 808 and the AMS set up. I like the 808 best but I have friends using the AMS. The reel will give you gear ratio retrieve which is nice when the action gets hot and heavy. The AMS is one to one and it feels like you are reeling in forever! IMO

Set the 808 up with 200lb Fast flight and take spray silicone and shoot it liberally into the mouth on the real onto the spooled line before you go out. Set up like this line flies off the reel and you have no drag or snag ups. The reason for FF string is that it will not stretch and that is a good thing if you ever forget to push the button or bump the handle to close it. The arrow will just snap the line and keep going or if out far enough it will just stop and fall. With other string it will stretch and bounce back!!! I don't need to go into detail as to what a bounce back will do. Happens to someone every year - DON'T let it be you. Get good line. Another wise investment is AMS slides or Cable slides. The cable slides are easy to make and you will want to have at least 4 or 5 arrows set up and ready to go. Nothing ruins a great day of bowfishing is loosing you only arrow. Lots of info on the web - Google or Bing it and have a great time. Another tip is using a recurve - get yourself an old 40-45lb yard sale bow and set it up as your fishing rig. You will be pleased you did.

Oh - 2 more things. I like to cut the stupid plastic fletching off asap because it is only cosmetic and rediculous. An arrow with a string tied to it is going to straighten out rather quickly. I also cut the glue on nocks off and cut self nocks. This way the nock is permanent so if you hit a rock the nock can't pop off. Another bowfishing bad buzz arrow stopper that can be avoided!

Have fun - bowfishing is addictive!

Bob Urban

ezcaller likes this.
  6. buckwacker 48097

buckwacker 48097

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Do they sell fast flight string in bow shops just for this purpose?
    When I was a kid we tied an arrow on what we use to call "river rods" which were large ryobi reels with 50 lb test and pool cue rods. Dad and I would drive from bridge to bridge in our old dune buggy on hot summer nights and shoot carp right off the bridge. Dad would just flip the bail and point the pole in the direction I would shoot and reel it in after. It was a 2 man operation but what a great way to spend the evening with dad!
    The 808 is my next purchase!

7. GuppyII

GuppyII

Don't be afraid to try 80-100 lb. Fireline or the like. It works great and has the no stretch/bounce back that fast flight has. Look at a musky shop for heavier lb tests. Have fun, Kevin

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

8. Slim1213

Slim1213

Fast flight does not stretch or bounce back. it just breaks which is the safest thing in some sitiuations...

9. Slim1213

Slim1213

Some bow shops may have it. However most the online bowfishing stores Will have fast flight in stock.

10. duckman39

duckman39

buckwacker48097,
    You still need a 808 reel? I have one I will give to you if you want it.
    Where are you located? I`m in Sterling Hts.
    PM me if you like.

Duckman39