close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Your ice fishing invention/improvements

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by WALLEYE MIKE, Dec 18, 2005.

1. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

List here along with pic's if you have them.

2. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Ok I'll go first. I'll post pic's when i find them.

I have a Shappell Dx 4000 and Dx 3000 both I cut out the floor (2' x2') for a spearing hole. The cut piece of platic floor is screwed to a piece of 1/4 plywood bigger than the plastic piece. So when replaced in its normal spot its just as it was originally. Also put the carpet right on top the plywood.

3. ih772

ih772

4. JJ Mac

JJ Mac

I have shappells that I use for shanties. I have towed them behind my quad with a jet sled and other types of trailers and always had problems. Tipping over, too much to carrry in the truck, getting covered with snow on the trip out, going over pressure cracks, etc. So last year I made this rear rack for my quad with two 2x4's and u bolts. It works fantastic. I have carried two shappell's with the greatest of ease. Just stap it to the rack and off you go. One the other side of the 2x4's I inserted two utility hooks that carry my power auger. I can now carry a ton of stuff right on the quad and no more dragging anything. I was initially concerned about the exhaust, but have had no problems. The pic here is deceiving, there is actually about a 20 inch clearance from the ground.

[​IMG]

5. MiketheElder

MiketheElder

In my gallery are three photos of my couple of year old Fish Trap Pro.

I took some plastic rain gutter and cut it to length across the front of my sled. Attached it through the bolt holes using the same bolts and bigger washers. On one end I fashioned some pvc to make a rod holder. It actually works best as a stand to hold my rod if I'm retying a jig.

I also took out the seat assembly. The older Pro had a tubular and flat aluminum assembly that weighs more than I want to pull around by hand. Bought some blue house insulation and cut it to fit the bottom. A little fillet work is necessary. Cut out a hole for my bucket to fit in. Bought a portable seat cushion at Bass Pro that has straps to create a backrest. It (cushion) weighs ounces.

6. JJ Mac

JJ Mac

Living in somewhat of a remote area, I do not have easy access to baitshops. In years past, many times you get there and..."sorry, we're out of blues, or we're out of suckers." Never again, and no more waiting for the baitshop to open. I set up this cooler with an aerator, filter, and heater, from extra fishtank stuff I had laying around. I keep the tank in the garage and set the heater on the lowest setting, just enough to keep the water from freezing. When I head out to fish, the minnows are already acclimated to cold water and do extremely well. This year I plan on keeping a variety of blues, grays, suckers, and goldens. That way I always have what I need. For 3 day or more road trips fishing, I just take the whole cooler with me.

Every two days I do a 1/3 water change. Set a bucket of water out the night before, and viola, declorinated water at the same temperature. I've had these minnows here for about a month now.

[​IMG]

Heatmiser and selfmade 514 like this.
  7. JIM PAYNE

JIM PAYNE

Five years ago i invented a system to charge all your batteries for ice fishing from you truck. Maybe you have seen them. We are now producing numerous sytems world wide for all battery types. I have three ice house builders in MN that sell them as a factory option.

8. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Here's my "invention" - Its a combo rod and minnow bucket holder. I used two five gallon buckets. To make a long story short; I cut the bottom out of one bucket, glued some 1" ID plastic/electrical conduit to the inside to hold the rods. I also drilled a couple of small holes and zip tied the handle "up" on that portion. The minnow bucket is a Frabil, it fits inside the bottom bucket, the top bucket fits inside the bottom one. The rod holder can be lifted off and set on the ice. Although it works great behing a hand pulled sled it has ridden in my sled behind a snowmobile across Houghton Lake, haven't lost a rod yet!

Been thinkin about making up a few for a friend that frequents craft shows and flea markets.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW - The "Big Dog" rods I got from Jammin Jigs wont fit, gotta get some large diameter PVC for those hog handles! :lol: :yikes:

9. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I haven't used one of those "squeaky" Schooley poles in EONS!!!
    :lol:

I have trouble squeezin' 4 walleYe stiX into a bucket with reels on 'em!
    :yikes:
    :fish:

10. UnkaD

UnkaD

Not my Idea but thought I would share from another site..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ggoblue

ggoblue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i mounted an 'otter skin' right on the back of my trailer... we sit on the trailer...we have true flip and go mobility...i made the skis out of pvc plastic....she just glides over the snow...even with 2 guys sitting on the trailer it only leaves a 3/4 inch imprint on powder...i park the quad across the trailer in front of the fishouse when we hit the road...the top pic is fairhaven the next pic is simcoe.

12. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

Burksee, what kind of glue did you use to attach the PVC pipe to the 5-gal pail?

Thanks.

13. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Used the ol' hot glue gun! Using the clear, flexable stuff. I scuffed the bucket and PVC with sand paper first, cleaned both areas with carb cleaner and started with a single bead down the center of the PVC abd stuck it to the bucket. Once that set up I hit both sides of th PVC with a bead of hot glue. Seems to be holding fine!

*Note: The hot glue does not hold well if the plastic is cold. First try I had some "issues" with the PVC sticking to the bucket. I had to take all the stuff in the house and warm it up before assembly, all worked well after that! ;)

14. Crawfish

Crawfish Premium Member

I thought it looked like hot glue, but didn't think hot glue would hold very well. I'll try it out. Thanks! :)

15. deepwoods

deepwoods Premium Member

The things I have done to my Shappell are.

#1. I cut about 1/4" inch of off the top spread bar. This made a world of difference in setting it up in the cold and eased the strain on the zippers. Just don't cut off to much.

#2. Replaced all of the zipper pull tabs with old keychain rings. Much easier to grab with gloves on.