close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

You shoot a Bear, Now What? Newbie Question

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Deerslayer032187, Jul 10, 2017.

1. sureshot006

sureshot006

don't know why i didn't think of case skinning, but that might be better than the dorsal cut for the shoulder mount.

don't NEED a freezer or refrigerator but why take the risk... Ice blocks work great too but like mentioned only if you can get the bear skinned and quartered quick. I'd say no more than 16 hrs. I used ice and 12 hrs later I was really surprised how cool the meat was all the way through.

I think a lot of people don't like bear meat because of poor handling...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    MISTURN3, SMITTY1233 and Nostromo like this.
  2. jjlrrw

jjlrrw

Didn't realize plugging a chest freezer into a temp controller and then to a generator was that crazy of a setup. Sounded like the OP wanted to process his own kill, my suggestion was IF OP already had a chest freezer and Generator make use of it, he could skin, 1/4, hang meat in the chest and cool it on his own at the perfect temperature. Then if others in camp are still hunting OP could enjoy the day(s) fishing, hiking, ORVing without worrying about making ice runs and keeping the bugs away, bonus most all chest freezers have locks. Remember early September it could be in the 80's don't think I would want a bear laying around on ice or meat stacked in a cooler full of melted ice.

Nostromo likes this.

3. jasonmeekhof

jasonmeekhof

I don't think it's necessary is all. a quality cooler filled with frozen milk jugs will keep meat for a week or more and you don't need to listen to the incessant drone of a generator. second quality synthetic game bags will keep bugs off and allow the meat to drain and cool. In no way am I advocating anything but processing it himself. meat care is very important and you stand a far better chance of your meat spoiling keeping the animal whole than you do quartering, and caping on site and packing it to your camp in pieces. But then again I don't like being anywhere near roads or orvs.

4. Nostromo

Nostromo

To be honest. I probably wouldn't haul my chest freezer in to the mountains of Idaho. I'd put into my trailer without a second thought.

Good luck everyone!

5. sureshot006

sureshot006

I suggest finding a taxidermist pre-hunt and asking what type of skin job you should do. Although there would be no extra stitching with casing the bear for a shoulder mount, it may be easier for the taxi to fit the hide on the manikin with the dorsal cut.

I got a full mount on last years bear and the taxi wanted dorsal cut because it made fitting the hide on the manikin a whole lot easier.

6. HTC

HTC Trophy Husband

True words right there. A couple years ago in Ontario the camp we were in brought in 17 bears over the first four days. It was 70 degrees out in the evenings. Everyone but my group left their bears, (field dressed only) for the guides to deal with the following morning. Half of those people did put a couple frozen milk jugs in the chest cavity, not sure how that helps the hind end. There was one bear over 400lbs that was shot at 5pm and not skinned until 10am the next morning and didn't make it to the walk in cooler until that afternoon. People wonder where the word, "gamey" comes from.....look no further. If cattle and hogs were handled the same way I suspect they would taste, "farmey".

7. thill

thill

Crack a beer and light up a cigar! Then throw those backstraps on the grill!

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006

I filled the cavity and strapped one between the hind legs. Like I had mentioned, it was surprisingly cool all the way through.

Ya do what ya gotta do... I had a 300# animal to handle by myself and last I checked I was 155 lb lol... was 12 AM before I got the bear back to camp and I NEEDED sleep before hitting the road bright and early. Skinned and processed the whole thing myself along with my grandpa. No complaints about the meat! Tastes GREAT. Might be all the raspberry filling... poor bears are probably diabetic now.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  9. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

The taxi can dorsal cut it after it's case skinned but not the other way around.

Firefighter and sureshot006 like this.