Yooper Alert! First Wild CWD Deer Found In Oneida County

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Pinefarm2015, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015 Retired

2. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015 Retired

My family owned property and a cabin near Covington. It was pretty up there. The ravens were cool.

But the deer hunting was grim. The grouse numbers weren’t as good as my stomping grounds in the NLP. The trout/steelhead fishing is better in the golden triangle and I got spoiled with walleye and largemouth fishing by growing up in SE Michigan.

For hunting, and the travel time involved, it was easier to fly down to San Antonio and rent a car, to see multiple bucks a day and chase quail midday.

We might go up with the kids this Summer. Although we have a lot of swim meets planned and some amusement park trips.

Any top sight seeing suggestions for kids, other than P rocks and T falls? I’m usually more of an active “do’er” on trips and try to avoid touristy sight seeing. But I want the kids to see some of the sights.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

4. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015 Retired

5. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Why there is no longer a deer check station at the bridge? When there was one you had to exit I-75 and drive over to the park to have your deer checked in. The tech who typically manned is retired, Tim Maples. Their camp is within ear shot of one of my camps.

6. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015 Retired

Dunno. Isn’t one on that map.

I’ll suggest that they make sure there’s some sort of CWD check opportunity at the bridge for south bound traffic. The NLP has nearly 4 times the deer hunters than the UP, killing 6 times the deer. The last thing we want is to jeopardize the northern NLP by not using the simple pinch point of the bridge. It’s bad enough that SLP could travel north on 100’s of different roads.

7. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Well that sound you hear in the background is your credibility leaking away.

I owned a camp a few miles north of the Sturgeon River gorge. I hunted from Covington east around Vermilac Lake, on the northwest corner of King Lake, and north to Taylor Creek. Over eleven years we killed seven bucks that topped 125", with the top two 145" and 153" (12pt). Covington is known as having some monster deer. I'm not much on entering deer in Commemorative Bucks. DSC00505.JPG
    You might want to look-up Louie Roy and Howard Musick. The Roy buck was the top deer in Michigan that year until a kid in Livingston Co. shot a slightly bigger buck with his shotgun. Musick shot his smaller buck sitting on a beaver flowage outflow about about four miles south. The Roy deer was killed near the headwaters of Plumbago Pond in notch he was watching in a steep escarpment face. He shot a smaller buck the previous morning.

Howard Shot an eleven point we we all hunting for the previous two years. It had been wounded over bait by a pair of guys who were sitting over the pile in the truck. He shot the wounded buck in the head, after cutting the blood trail. He was just about to tag it when the "hunter's" came up shouting it was their buck. They had no idea where they were, having come-in from the east off the Herman-Nestoria truck trail (their bait was set-up in a new clear-cut west of the truck trail. Howard wished them luck and walked away, refusing to answer their repeated calls to either help them find an easier way out or help with "their deer".

We heard the shot and voices from our stands watching a rocky draw he worked west through when he left the beaver flooding he bedded in. We were three miles north of the Sturgeon, close enough to Herman to hear dogs barking in the distance. When I ran into Howard later in the day when we were all hiking out, he related the story to Mike and I. We called the CO that night and he made the arrest the next morning when they showed back up to finish dragging out that buck.

Covington is about fifteen miles from some of the best grouse country in the State.

There is an old Discovering tape with a shot of some bucks lined-up on the outside of the taxidermy shop in Chassell, you might want to reference. They, too, came from that country.

8. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Some dandy bucks there Cork Dust.Shh, there are no deer left in the Yoop.

9. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

002.JPG
    Two of these came from that area as well. I don't have epics of Mike and Jim's bucks.

10. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

001.jpg
    I suspect the crossbow ban is an effort to protect deer moving on migration trails. Yes, late season bow pressure is light, but it can be highly effective due to concentrated deer and focus on food. I would be fine with a total ban on baiting statewide. Doe permits are being issued in agric. dominated counties where deer numbers have rebounded.

This buck came from between Vermilac Lake and King Lake, by taking Murphy Rd. east from Covington until it ends and then bushwacking to pick-up an old narrow gauge railroad grade to work to the east. I hid him in a hollow for the photo, since he had no hair in a six inch wide swath down his spine from dragging him out.

stickbow shooter likes this.
  11. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I wouldn't have a problem with statewide bait ban either. Beautiful buck did you get him still hunting or tracking ?. See you used the good ol Remington pump. I really need to get back up that way soon and work on my camp. But life always seems to get in the way.

12. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

We sit for the first two days on travel corridors, then switch to still hunting and doing three man "triangle drives", which essentially involves the point man following sign, with two people about five minutes behind, still hunting on ether side. In big woods, we have found that deer cluster around current and old beaver flowages. Does hold in the high stem count cover. Bucks generally work along the stream drainages checking each "patch". Clear-cut edges and corners are another good spot to look for sign. An old beaver meadow near or on the edge of a clear cut is deer gold.

Here is some incentive to get back up...

deer2007.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  13. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Dam ,I am speechless. Looks alot like St. Martin's Island buck pole.

motdean likes this.
  14. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Jeff Sturgis wrote a piece that essentially stated to look for the intersection of three distinct cover types and then Mackinaw Straits 001.jpg inspect closely for signs of a nice buck bedding nearby. I shot my first nice buck in one of these types of transition pockets. I found it while trapping mink and 'coon well away from roads, between Mackinaw City and Cheboygan, near Pte. Nipigon-not exactly good buck country. He came to rattling and a call on the last morning of gun season. I saw one of the biggest black bears of my life back in there opening day. Great morel picking spot.

He broke 200lbs. dressed.

15. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

You have a VERY keen memory...2007, two years before the MDNR visit.

The Nature Conserancy owns it now, except for the Federal 40 where the lighthouse is located.