Yooper Alert! First Wild CWD Deer Found In Oneida County

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Pinefarm2015, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Ironic isn't it. Wisconsin has determined wolf density to be inversely correlated with road density, basically why there is a big gap around Rhinelander and west of the city.

There are a couple of studies of mountain lions preferentially preying on mule deer carrying prion loads as well, but neither was designed to determine or assess preferential targeting of CWD infected cervnids..

stickbow shooter likes this.
  2. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

A good friend shot a nice heay buck in Saskatchewan this past fall. He stopped and pulled all his meat packages and skull to the back of his pickup bed in preparation for inspection when he hit the border...no one asked to look at any of it! First thing Mark brought-up when I went over to see the deer. Amazing!

His comment: Can you believe that? (I removed the three curse words he inserted)

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Ol Ma Nature knows what's best.

4. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Crazy. I wonder why it's spreading. Smh. At least he did the right thing.

5. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015 Retired

I would advocate for both north bound and south bound lanes prohibiting whole carcas transportation. It’s an easy pinch point.

I would assume more deer are traveling the south bound lanes than the north bound lanes. Anyone have those numbers?

stickbow shooter likes this.
  6. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

That would be a good idea. Most guys just pack them in there truck or camper anyways so that would be a problem.

7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Wow. What a shock another CWD positive deer found in Wisconsin. One of the biggest vectors in the spread of CWD to the UP is north bound traffic on the Mackinac Bridge.

It has been addressed with the DNR on multiple occasion plus was brought up to Terry Minzey again less than 2 weeks ago. So far there is no drop off like there is for north bound firewood.

Keep the UP CWD!

8. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Well goes to show you laws don't put a stop to everything.
    If everyone doesn't know/understand the law and reason for it you can't expect enforcement.
    Border guys generally concentrate on items of high priority like drugs firearms and undeclared taxable/duty items.

9. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015 Retired

It sounds like a bridge carcass ban is a good safety measure, north and south.

Is there any data on how many deer carcasses come across the bridge that originate in the SLP, compared to deer carcasses that originate in Wisconsin, that cross into the UP from Wisconsin?

Any idea how many UP residents hunt the LP? Any idea how many UP residents also hunt in Wisconsin?

10. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

They concentrate on what they are trained to interdict, nothing more. Silo effect in action, USFWS trains their people... no one trains ICE agents. Mak was specifically told what to do by the outfitter, so the deer was prepped properly due to the outfitter behaving responsibly. Freelancers would be another issue.

Easily 90% of UP hunters do not process or break their deer down prior driving south. IF they did this far fewer deer would end-up in dumpsters downstate. Our opener is earlier than Wisconsin's which puts a number of guys on the north side of the border, including one tent camp of slobs I have turned-in multiple times for litter and destruction of State property...long story.

Buffalo county is a popular hunting destination for out of state deer hunters. Land is tough to access, lease, and tougher to buy since it is productive farmland.

The Bridge Authority should have a deer count that is stratified by State killed source, but I doubt if they are that farsighted and proactive. They do have a general deer count.

Some guys go down to shoot a doe for garanteed venison, and then some go to family camps downstate to hunt.

I would like to ask Terry Minazey if they have data on which cohort of Wisconsin CWD deer are spreading faster, captive or wild.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  11. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

That’s sounds like a great research project for you. Let us know what you find out.

jr28schalm likes this.
  12. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The goal should be zero in bound to the UP.

13. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015 Retired

The goal should also be zero UP positive deer coming south.

Since bridge count numbers seem dependent on UP herd numbers, and less than 2000 crossed the bridge in 2015 and 2026, it’s clear the vast majority are south bound.

14. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015 Retired

You seem to have all data on the UP, even the stuff showing weekends have more participation. I figured you’d be on that.

If MDNR isn’t even counting north bound deer, it’s illustrative of the priority they give it.

15. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Where did you come up with that? The DNR doesn’t count any deer crossing the bridge. It’s time for you to do a field trip. Michigan is a big state you should go see some of it. It changes every year.

jr28schalm and mbrewer like this.