Year of the big boys!

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by nighttime, Aug 4, 2019.

1. salmonsteel97

salmonsteel97

I was thinking of running braid on the pins this year for salmon but for the sake of not wanting to cut my hand I might just got with 20lb mono and 14-17 leader.

2. Treven

Treven Banned

Baitcaster and braid is the only way to go. I find centerpins and kings to be a miserable and painful experience.

Just my opinion, there.

adam bomb, nighttime and koditten like this.

3. nighttime

nighttime

I do love the pin but beats the heck out of me, especially if you get in to em.

I did see they changed law and jigs are now allowed. I probably won’t venture down that path unless I stumble across something.

Treven likes this.
  4. salmonsteel97

salmonsteel97

What rod and reel do you recommend? I’m thinking about getting a bait cast setup for skein fishing. Would like to keep the rod and reel around $200.

5. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I was thinking about getting a pin again this year and just came to the conclusion that the small waters I fish dont warrant it. My 10' baicasting setup is just fine. I currently use a Calcutta 201dc and a 10' med/heavy Loomis. Never had a issue, maybe if I win the lottery I will buy a pin setup. But for now she works just fine. U shouldn't have any problem finding a setup for 200-250 bucks. Let us know what ya get

6. salmonsteel97

salmonsteel97

I have an idea on a rod. Probably either the fenwick or lamiglas x11 I think. More concerned about a reel that can handle the abuse with a modest price. I like pin fishing to much for me to sink a lot of money into a baitcaster setup until I know I like it or not.

7. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

X11 stuff is really nice for the cost.

8. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

:yeahthat: I like the X11's that I have, never used them for float fishing, but should work well.
    As for reels, I have used the Diawa Revo S for Steelhead and they did the job with no problem. Should be able to find them used at a good price. ( I have two left handers that I would sell if interested.)

9. Treven

Treven Banned

Okuma has some great priced rods that have an orange color to the blank (SST, I believe?). Those are the budget rods I recommend. They even make a 12'-4" baitcaster that compares pretty favorably to my Loomis Moocher 12'-3". Okuma has some heavy 10'-6" baitcasters in that line that can handle smaller water too rated up to 40lb-50lb.

Abu C4 with carbon fiber drags seem to be the best bang for your buck. I would give those new Okuma low profile musky reels a try too, if you find one for the right price. "300" size baitcasters seem to be the right size for hucking skein and taking the punishment.

If you want to spend more money: Loomis and Lamiglas rods, Abu Toro's, Shimano Tranx's, and Daiwa HD's will get it done. My favorite reels are the discontinued 50 size Toro's with the non-disengaging levelwind. I have 6 and would buy more if I found them new, for MSRP or less. Wonderful king bobber reels!

salmonsteel97 likes this.
  10. salmonsteel97

salmonsteel97

Would the 300 series a 4600 for abu Garcia?

11. wyandot

wyandot

How about a 5600c3 Ambassadeur? I've got several setting around collecting dust that I could give you a smokin' deal on.

12. salmonsteel97

salmonsteel97

13. Treven

Treven Banned

For the C4's specifically, everyone I know, used the 4600 size.

I was looking at those Okuma Komodos more after I posted yesterday, and the 364 size reel would be good, but they make an inshore 200 size reel now too! If their "synchronized" braid-ready line guide means what I think it does, I may have to pick up a few of these reels to try out! Stainless steel gears, potentially non-disengaging levelwind, and carbon fiber drags for around $200 (+), these might be a diamond in the rough!

14. Treven

Treven Banned

Oh, those $90-$100 Okuma SST rods have the option of a carbon fiber handle. Nice for easy skein clean-up in comparison to cork.

15. salmonsteel97

salmonsteel97

I ended up with an okuma sst 10’6 mh, ambassador c3 (thank you wyandot),50 pound power pro for mainline.
    Ready to put the winch on them lol.

Treven likes this.