Year of the big boys!

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by nighttime, Aug 4, 2019.

1. nighttime

nighttime

Well with all the current pictures and reports of the 30#+ fish being caught this year has me thinking possible personal best. With that thought in mind I’m upping line a little bit in hopes of that big one coming to shore. Usually I’m very confident with 17# seager leader, this year starting at 20#lead, I have maxima and seager for that 25# maxima shot line and 30# hydro float main.
    30# braid on the hardware rod. Really hoping for a 30#, it would be first fish Mount for me. Good luck this season, be safe, be respectful to others and Mother Nature!

Anyone else rethinking their line choice?

brian0013 likes this.
  2. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

3. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I am raising mine from 17# to 20# mainline with the leaders going up to 12#. The only reason I am going to 20# is because I had some Sufix ProMix on hand, and would have to had to buy some new 17# for this year. My main rods are rated 10-17 and 8-12 just hope they are stout enough to do the job on the kings this year.

nighttime likes this.
  4. Treven

Treven Banned

65# Main (braid - less digging into itself at 12lb-14lb diameter) to 70# Spro swivel to either 25# or 40# Seguar Gold leader for skeinin'. Depending on if it's the 12'-3" or the 10'-6" baitcaster, as I max the line rating out for each rod, respectively.

30# braid on the crank rod.

Spoons and spinners I'm generally fishing mouths and lighten up a bit more as I'm not fighting the fish from wood on the hookset.

nighttime likes this.
  5. LushLife

LushLife

tre don't play, huh? ;)

Treven likes this.
  6. nighttime

nighttime

Beefy set up for sure!

Treven likes this.
  7. Trout King

Trout King

I'm curious to what hooks you guys are using with that 20lb leader?

Sparky23 and Whitetail_hunter like this.
  8. jatc

jatc

#10 Stone Flies

Whitetail_hunter and Trout King like this.
  9. Treven

Treven Banned

2/0 Gami Big River Bait Hooks or 2/0 Gami Octopus.

Trout King likes this.
  10. nighttime

nighttime

11. lostabigone

lostabigone

3/0 gama 4x strong live bait octopus if i can catch a 200 lb sturgeon with them it should work on 30 lb king but you never know

12. Trout King

Trout King

Watch your gap sizes fellas

13. nighttime

nighttime

C35A528A-9DD8-455C-B3CC-5FE54DAB2F58.png 1/0 is the biggest size gap for single hook, really no need for any bigger.
    #2 is the smallest I’ll use for the kings

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    eggfly likes this.
  14. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

20 braid throwing cranks.... 20 mono and 16 fluoro on the cp.....same as I’ve run for a few years now.... and new to me this year is a 10-17 spiral lami bc that I just finished building, (currently playing with different mains) but it’ll have braid to 16 fluoro.

Skein hook will be same as for several years 2/0 gami octopus - exactly 1/2” point to shank.

My odds of hitting the lottery again are slim now that there’s a 31.5 spoon fed pierhead hen on the wall from 2013.... it’s gotta be a 30 male or 35 hen..... so my chances for taxi bill are really slim! (Which is good since I have a steelhead replica being done right now and really should not shell out more taxi cash this year) Haha!!!!

Good luck nighttime and all others this season of getting a wall hanger!

15. Treven

Treven Banned

I would hope a little leniency with hook gaps from the DNR if things are close wouldn't be an issue if you are bobber slingin' gut (real bobber fishing, not sweeping, not sweeping tandem rig BS...still snagging). Laws are laws, but discretion toward those actually fishing for these fish vs snagging them is extremely easy to spot and understand. The hook size rule change was implemented for those snagging, not those who actually entice salmon into biting a wad of eggs. That is completely my own interpretation, btw.

I could be wrong though, the rules are black and white, and I accept that. If the CO's want to hammer for the sake of hammering, I guess karma will a snitch-with-a-B for them someday... they would be technically in the right. They wouldn't be making the river a better place by cracking down on legit fisherman because a rule change now includes them, even thought it's intended for a completely different type of "fisherman," though.

But don't get me wrong, there are bobber snaggers out there too. Sweepers are easy to spot, though...

Trout King likes this.