close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yamaha outboard repair

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by docbas, Jun 6, 2017.

1. docbas

docbas

I have an older 8 horse Yamaha that is stuck in reverse. Anyone know how to fix this, or where a good, cheap place to fix it would be. I live in Frankenmuth.

2. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Can you move your shifter to neutral or forward or is it locked in reverse?

If you can move it to neutral or forward it could be your linkage. I don't know of any places in your area. Best way to find out is tear into it. Pull the lower unit check out the shift shaft. If that checks out you would have to rent a out drive puller(which is really just a universal puller) then pull your outdrive and inspect gears. Going this route sounds a lot worse than it really is. I would also recommend getting a seal kit and replace all the seal before reinstalling. Make sure you leave the shifter in neutral before you pull the lower unit and take note to the position your shift cam was in if you have to remove your shift shaft. It could be your shift cam but that shouldn't leave you stuck in gear, it would keep you from being able to engage direction

3. docbas

docbas

It is locked in reverse. Can't move it anywhere. I'll keep searching for a repair shop, I'm not that handy in fixing stuff like this. Thanks.

4. Big Frank 25

Big Frank 25 Premium Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  5. schopie4

schopie4

Mount it on the front of the boat and away you go!

docbas likes this.