close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yamaha 150HP Outboard-PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Matt Bailey, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Do what scout 2 mentioned. I've had starters lock up even when I was on the water. Luckily a quick smack with a pair of pliers or hammer and I was able to motor back and replace it. Starters are a wearable part, they just wear out after time. When you noticed the starter was hot was this after cranking on it or just cycling the key? If it's hot it's probably shot. Check amazon you can get a starter WAYYYY cheaper than going to any marina. If your alarm is going off it could be from a faulty starter. None of my boats had "dummy lights"(not calling you a dummy by any means! Lol) Only time alarm would sound if oil was getting low or faulty connection.

Also I would see if you can move the fly wheel like stated in previous post this will rule out any major issues.

Check the head of the starter if its engaged to the fly wheel try knocking it down like I said then replace it.

I hope this helps and good luck!

piketroller likes this.
  2. Scout 2

Scout 2

After checking the starter there should be one post on your battery that has a red wire going to it. Take an electrical tester and put the red end on that post and the black end ground out on the starter body. There should not be ant power going to that post unless the key switch is in the start position. Have someone turn the key to start and hold it while you check to see if you have power going to that post. If you do not follow that red wire to the starter solinoid. and check all your conections making sure none are loose. On the solinoid there sould be 2 red wires connected to 2 posts on it and some smaller ones coming out of it usuallaly on the side. Take you tester and go to the post that does not have the red wire going to the starter and check that. One side of this solinoid should be hot(12 Volts) and the other side will be dead until the key is turned to start the engine. If has no power to both sides when the key is in start it is a bad solinoid. I cannot tell you what it looks like as all are different. If you cannot find it look one up on the internet to see what you are looking for. If up need parts do as Duck Hunter says DO NOT BUY FROM A DEALER unless you cannot find them online. E Bay is the cheapest usually and many times they are not after market parts. Good Luck

3. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

Messed with it again tonight, pulled plugs and could spin motor, which was a relief, watched starter and gear is rising and dropping as it should, its almost like it don't have enogh power to turn the thing, checked volts on battery again, was at 11.76...any thoughts

4. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

Have you tried a different battery?

5. c-money

c-money

Just b/c you have volts doesn't mean you have amps. Batteries can be junk and still have volts.

storman, cstroh and Scout 2 like this.
  6. Scout 2

Scout 2

Does the starter turn at all. As was said if your battery does not have the amps it won't work. Put a meter on the starter post and try to roll it over and see what you get. Do you know how to check the starter

7. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

Ok so I went out this morning and pulled a trolling battery and hooked it up, and it fired right up no issue, so now my question is if that battery was going bad would it make the warning buzzer come on for overheat?

8. Scout 2

Scout 2

I don't think that buzzed you heard was a sign the engine ws overheating. It was a warning that something was going wrong somewhere. Look for an owners manual on the internet as sometime they are posted so ou can read them and download the page that has what the buzzer means. Glad you found the problem

salmonslammer likes this.
  9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

11.76V is just about dead for a 12V battery. 11.9 is 5% left. I would check that battery.

https://www.emarineinc.com/Batteries-Maintenance-101

10. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

Everytime the warning goes off the temp light comes on

11. Scout 2

Scout 2

That could be caused by low voltage

salmonslammer likes this.
  12. salmonslammer

salmonslammer

My EFI sled has that problem with low voltage... If your going to throw money at it, Id start there....VOM mtr is a good investment if you dont have one.

13. Scout 2

Scout 2

Here is a tip on any motor. Check the hole size on where the water pees out because if you pick up mud or sand it usually has zebra mussels larve in it and they will plug the outlet. I had a new 60 hp merc and that was bad about that. It did that in Canada once and I took a drill next size bigger that the hole and drilled it out. That fixed it

14. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

Thats why the first thing that popped
    was a bad connection!

Scout 2 likes this.
  15. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Mud daubers have plugged mine a couple times .I check often now and just cleaned my kicker motor out .