close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yamaha 150HP Outboard-PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Matt Bailey, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

Hey Guys, I have a boat with a 2008 Yamaha 4stroke 150, a few weeks ago I was out and boat overheat buzzer came on at cruising speed, so I got some advise and replaced the thermostat, took it out 2 weeks ago and zero issues, took boat out with my 2 boys today and was fishing and everything was fine, then a Thunderstorm came rolling in and we were going back to dock to load up(which didn't happen because some ass decided to park his boat in launch and sit out the storm in his truck) when we were going from forward to reverse a few times the buzzer went off again today, it pisses water fine, so I shut down engine and used trolling motor, the storm passed and we decided to go back out on lake, so we trolled out of channels, which took about 30 mins, we fished for about 45 mins and decided to move to opposite side of lake, fired motor up and it ran fine, went about 35 mph across lake and it acted fine, shut motor down, trolled for about 2hrs fishing , when we went to start it to go back to load up, nothing, acted like battery was dead, only thing running off that battery was radio and it ran for maybe 30mins today. So I trolled about 45mins back to dock and loaded up, when I got back to shop we checked battery and it was 12.14 volts, and tried battery charger on it, boat would turn over very little, maybe 1/16 of turn, and when u turn on key the 2 red lights turn on for about 3 seconds and go off, the only thing I noticed was starter was very hot, but oil and everything else looked good....ANY IDEAS? I'm literally freaking out now...wife didn't want me to get boat, now my 10yr old comes in and told her boat blew up and she is all over my ass now,...

Scout 2 and Aaronjeep2 like this.
  2. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

Are you sure its an "overheating buzzer". Sounds like a bad battery connection and it is tripping an engine falt alarm.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.

3. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

The heat light thing comes on when it does it
    and even with charger on it tonight it wouldn't turn over,

4. Scout 2

Scout 2

Grab the flywheel and see if you can rock it back and forth. This will tell you if it froze up or not

hawgeye and Aaronjeep2 like this.
  5. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

I'd try and jump it with the truck my battery is going on my motor. I can jump it with the truck then start it all day on the water take it home try and start it the next day and it won't start still reads 12 volts but there's like zero cranking amps. You can put a voltmeter to a 12v battery it will read 12 volts but it could have 30 amps

6. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

That to

7. rz6x59

rz6x59

Bad starter? If you can turn it from the fly wheel check the starter.

8. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

The starter will turn it a inch,

9. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

We put a jump box on it, and it made zero difference...

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  10. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

The starter was hot as he'll, seems like no one thinks I blew up motor

11. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Then turn the fly wheel if it won't move it's locked up which I doubt starters probably shot

12. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

And try to jump the starter that will weed out ignition problems.

13. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

I don't know why I did not think fuses maybe to many beers in me but check the fuses.

14. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

Checked fuses on motor, and at battery, all were fine.... Why would starter go out?

15. Scout 2

Scout 2

Can you see the gear on your starter? See if it is locked up against the gear on the flywheel. The starter gear should be down away from the ring gear

piketroller likes this.