X-raps V Husky Jerk

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ESOX, Sep 10, 2010.

1. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

It seems that I find myself fishing Huskies less and less, and reaching for an X-Rap instead. Analyzing my motives, I think the reason is the X-Raps cast better, but still catch a lot of fish. I wonder if X-Raps will do as well in the fall, or will the proven, longer, slimmer profile of the Husky win out?

2. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster Premium Member

I wish I could say the same. I have not had nearly as much luck with X-Raps as I have had with Husky Jerks. I feel I'm in the minority as most seem to be fishing HJ less and less and the new breed of Raps more and more. The X's cast great and seem to have a livelier action on a regular retrieve which I think makes them a little more versatile. I catch most of my fish when th HJ is suspended inbetween rod sweeps but I know some guys that rarely use them this way, they just use a regular retrieve.

3. wally-eye

wally-eye Guest

I tend to cast x-raps most of the time and troll h-j's more than any other bait..........although I've tried trolling raps but not with the same success as hjs....

4. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Paul,
    I was out last fall on Muskegon doing the last "Hurrah's" right before she iced over with a couple guys from here ( you email or PM me & I'll cover the whole shebang -LOL) .
    We were running HJs and a secret n!nJA Pradco bait that shall remain nameless on this board...LOL
    Picked off a few & the bite DIED. I tossed an XRD10 back about 70 feet , barely dragged it 60 foot or so and wham!!
    Fish on....Then this "Tim" character proceeds to PUNCH his ticket with 3 more in short order.
    :rant:
    On the second one over the gunnel I ask the 'Man WUTApH**** you got on there??'
    He replies , You just netted another one for me , I thought you saw the bait then.
    :lol:
    X-Rap .

I still use the sH!zn!T outta HJ's as well as some other great baits , but will be the first to admit that you need to vary the cadence , speed and pauses to find out IF that's what they want.
    The rattle is one bad SKULL knocker and is totally different than a HJ.
    Like Dan , I probably cast the XR10 more B/C it casts so damn good , but there have been nights when the X-Rap series have saved our butts on some nights trolling.
    :)

NEED BOTH.

Gotta have'm!

RAS

EDIT:
    Oh yeah - fall time??
    It's a k!LLaH!!!

:evilsmile :evilsmile

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. jigworm

jigworm

I like them both. The xrap does cast better, but I've caught a lot of fish on a silver husky so it's tough not to keep one tied on. Like SFW said, they both have a place in my tacklebox.

6. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

Do not overlook the magnums.

7. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Not quite magnums, but these have produced a lot of muskies in tough post frontal conditions for me the past couple of years. at 1/58 oz, they can be fished on a flipping stick, which makes it a hell of a lot of fun when you get a gamer.

http://www.landbigfish.com/showcase.cfm?PID=4307

8. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster Premium Member

What kind of depths do those run on say 10# mono?

9. sfw1960

10. brookies101

brookies101

Ya gotta have both, but I always begin with the hj. If that's not doin work I'll then switch to the xrap. That pearl/orange one has been very good to me so far
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. bobcolenso

bobcolenso Premium Member

I like to wade for walleye at Luna Pier in the fall. X-Raps, Bombers, and X-Raps. While I certainly don't out fish everyone else, I at least do as well as everyone else. Sometimes you get walleyes, sometimes you get a goose egg.

12. sfw1960

I love the way they usually SM0KE 'em like a steelhead coming downriver full tilt boogie too.
    :D
    YaKnoWuTiMean???
    :xzicon_sm

Like I said to my friend Brandon a few weekends ago :
    "HEY! Would you like me to set that hook for you"

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  13. 1ManWolfPak

1ManWolfPak

HJ's and originals, never have had to fish another bait in muskegon and probably never will. Speed is the biggest factor.

14. sfw1960

If that works for you great!

When you've tried from .6 MPH to 1.8 MPH and nothing is going for you and you put an X-Rap down and in minutes you box one , then another , then another.... it's hard to argue with RESULTS.
    Many a night has gone by where we never put a Rapala of any type on.
    I do have a few "new" ones that I am going to put some air time on this year though.
    ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  15. 1ManWolfPak

1ManWolfPak

Whatever you have to do to put fish in your boat!