Wow, Au Sable flow CRASHED

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ausable_steelhead, Jan 21, 2019.

1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Currently flowing at 479cfs. I know there’s an ice jam around Alcona, and it was cold last night; but come on!? Big Manistee at 712cfs!

2. Fishndude

Fishndude

That is just crazy. I've never seen the flows that low. I think the lowest I've seen before was in the 600's, and I figured you could just walk around and pick fish up at that flow. You'd think it has never been cold in winter, before. Is this Consumer's version of going shopping for food before a big snowstorm? :dizzy:

3. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

I was just looking at gauges down stream. All over the place. Must be some big dams forming. The river is likely froze over in many spots too

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

NEangler likes this.
  4. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

The thing that gets me is, why is it so low now? It’s been cold before; ****, it was much colder a few years ago. I’ve never saw it hit 4-5-600cfs. I’ve never saw the Manistee hit 6-700cfs. It just seems strange to me.

A flow of 400-500cfs has got to be ridiculous to see. Tons of exposed gravel and riverbed. Dead Atlantic and king eggs now. Dead bugs. Dead small fish. I just don’t like it.

5. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

Yep total BS. Way, way too low there. All that exposed area is now frozen rock solid killing everything in the there.

The gauge on the Manistee around Sherman is up around 1700. That is super high. It spiked today. Must be a jam there too. I saw pics today of it frozen over.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

NEangler likes this.
  6. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

7. andyotto

andyotto

That's sad and disturbing. What a river it could be.

Boardman Brookies likes this.
  8. NEangler

NEangler

Yesterdays low flow was actually 718 cfs. The AuSable gauge is not reading accurately. Still low but a long way from 479cfs.

9. NEangler

NEangler

Flow below Foote is currently 811 CFS. USGS is showing false read of 535 CFS. There is a known problem with the AuSable USGS Gauge. McKinley USGS gauge also needs repairs.

10. NEangler

NEangler

The Red Oak Gauge is currently reading 1881. This shows the ice has backed up and is flooding that section of the river as the Gauge flows are based on elevation.

herb09 likes this.
  11. MichiganStreamside

MichiganStreamside

your new gauge most not being read properly either. mine reads 412 cfs currently. no point in following a federal license agreement today with the shutdown. big power spike coming!

12. Fishndude

Fishndude

Ausable flow at "Ausable," is reporing 345 cfs at 2:45PM today. This is just shameful, and Consumers needs to be held accountable for it. When technology fails, common sense needs to prevail. I see none of that. :dizzy:

13. Fishndude

Fishndude

Wait until Consumers opens that dam back up, and blows tons of ice downstream to create ice dams in town. Lucky Homeowners with riverside properties!

14. MichiganStreamside

MichiganStreamside

The said thing is technology has not failed. System is running just as it was designed to. Its just those that set it up want it to run this way. Spikes of water means dollars. Those gauges are working fine and get checked regularly you can see on graphs when it measured. Red Oak and Mckinely just are accurate right because buried in ice.

15. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

McKinley is reading 5860cfs. At one point yesterday, it was over 9000!