close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wounded Deer Dispatch?

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by kdogger, Oct 31, 2017.

1. dead short

dead short Mods

I have never known anyone to be questioned about using a knife to kill a mortally injured animal after a track.

More and more often the question that is asked is if they can use their CPL to put down a deer.

2. dead short

dead short Mods

As far as cruelty to animals....The Michigan Cruelty to Animal Statute does particularly exclude animals taken pursuant to hunting regs....

MCL 750.50b(9) This section does not prohibit the lawful killing of an animal pursuant to any of the following:

(a) Fishing.

(b) Hunting, trapping, or wildlife control regulated under the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.101 to 324.90106, and orders issued under that act.

Waif likes this.

3. dead short

dead short Mods

Interesting thought though....I know of people that have been charged with the illegal take of game animals and reptiles (particularly turtles) after purposely targeting them (swerving to hit) with a motor vehicle.

By statute they could probably be charged (although maybe not ultimately convicted) with a felony.

750.50b Animal defined; prohibited acts; violation; penalty; exceptions.
    Sec. 50b.

(1) As used in this section, "animal" means any vertebrate other than a human being.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not do any of the following without just cause:

(b) Commit a reckless act knowing or having reason to know that the act will cause an animal to be killed, tortured, mutilated, maimed, or disfigured.

4. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Thanks Dead short.
    Much to decipher.
    Discharging a firearm after dark without an authority knowing is going to arouse suspicion regardless of intent. Even then a neighbor may be aroused.
    Making it legal,regarding deer recoveries without a heads up warning would open the door for abuse.

Striving for clean kills should always be the first intent.
    Finishing a mistake is not inherent in everyone, but for some, how to do so legally needs to be known.

petronius and jr28schalm like this.
  5. dead short

dead short Mods

It would be interesting to find out what other states do in this regard. Maybe I'll do a poll and find out.

Waif likes this.
  6. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

I don't know if this would be legal, but a .22 pistol with subsonic ammo would do wonders for dispatching a deer without arousing suspicion. Cutting a deers throat or lungs if it's still feisty is dangerous. Leaving it is cruel. I would just take the ticket if caught. Thankfully, I haven't been in this situation yet.

7. plugger

plugger Premium Member

This video clip shows the approach I have been using.

Dtb810, FREEPOP, petronius and 2 others like this.
  8. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Man that's awesome. Completely legal!

9. 10point197

10point197

We all have an obligation to retrieve game we have wounded. Just call the dnr or local law prior to dispatching the deer to document that you are doing it the right way and not out poaching. Co will understand that

10. petronius

petronius

And maybe the Conservation Officer will have the documentation he needs when he takes when his case goes to court.

DirtySteve likes this.
  11. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Sounds like a great name for a new soap opera:

"When Law and Ethics Clash"

Many of our game laws, and likely laws in general, are contradictory to what is ethical.

12. U D

U D

Every time I left camp to track a deer after dark, my father would say "take an axe." We always did, wondering what the ole man had in ind., until the one time we needed it. Carrying an axe in the woods is always legal!

13. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

The law of unintended consequences has once again gotten me.

14. dead short

dead short Mods

That is highly likely because most laws (in general) are written in response to and to prevent unethical behavior.

Downsea likes this.