Working on my Alaska fly box

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by brushbuster, Mar 4, 2018.

1. brushbuster

brushbuster

Dorf-on-Steel likes this.
  2. brushbuster

brushbuster

A fly box like this will catch fish during your time frame upload_2018-3-6_10-26-42.jpeg

3. brushbuster

brushbuster

Well, I think I have enough. 20180306_121220.jpg

4. mfs686

mfs686

I don't know. I see open spots on that table.

brushbuster likes this.
  5. 101thwacK

101thwacK

Thanks a bunch! I will definitely have to spend some time at the vice

brushbuster likes this.
  6. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!!

This is an Arctic char caught in the Ugashik Narrows. Same family as dollies, just sea run.

This one took a bottom bounced bead. If you’re fishing salmon streams, dollies will devour beads. Gotta be as close to whatever eggs are in the stream.

Otherwise, they like pink a lot. Google “Dolly llama fly” and that should work. I’ve also caught them with pink wogs.

Attached Files:

101thwacK and brushbuster like this.
  7. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

that's for the bear claws, they've been catching fish for centuries [​IMG]

8. Dorf-on-Steel

Dorf-on-Steel

Bb,
    Thanks for the great post. I have booked my first Alaska Trip to August25-Sept 1, 2018 to the Neknak river upriver from King Salmon Alaska. I will be fishing mostly Rainbows, Slivers and hopefully a few Dollys. Question; is the listing of flys below a good start? Also I picked up a couple of large arbor reels for my 8 wt. I assume a sink line on one will be needed????? or will weighted flys make it?

Flesh flies
    Egg patterns
    Pink wogs
    Egg sucking leaches
    Bunny flies
    Marabou flies
    Flash flies
    Dolly llamas
    Sculpin patterns
    Beads
    Have lots of pink chartreuse cherise, purple,orange and black in your flys.
    I'd appreciate your input,
    Dorf

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    brushbuster likes this.
  9. brushbuster

brushbuster

Great list, That should cover it really. I use a multi tip line,like this https://www.rioproducts.com/products/sinking/intouch-versitip-ii and a spare spool of weight forward.
    You are going at a great time , have fun, the rainbow and silver fishing is fantastic that time of year.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Dorf-on-Steel likes this.
  10. brushbuster

brushbuster

Crammed every thing into 4 boxes , just need a box of beads and I am all set. 20180407_111648.jpg

mfs686 and Dorf-on-Steel like this.
  11. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!!

I’ve been to Naknek River Camp 3 times, twice the first week of September.

The Naknek doesn’t get a big run of silvers. There is one slough but it’s limited and of the 32 anglers in Camp, many try to get the few slots. It’s a good idea to ask Jim early that you’d like to fish silvers. It does have the largest piggy rainbows in the world, though in the main river. Get proficient on a switch rod to really have fun with the big rainbows.

It’s the peak of the sockeye egg drop. Beads, peach and orange, as well as estaz eggs in those colors.

Are you going with Frank Willetts from the PM Lodge? He does a great job organizing his group. The thing about Naknek is it’s busy. If you’re doing the 2 fly outs, Moraine Creek is one of the best and busiest big rainbow creeks in the world. Unbelievable bear viewing.

The big char in my icon photo was from the Ugashik Narrows which is a fly out. It was on a bead fished chuck n duck in 4 foot deep hole. If it’s sunny, the Ugashik Narrows has huge grayling. Size 12 elk hair caddis or size 12 Adams should cover you for grayling. There are big grayling in the Naknek but its big water to target them.

The Idavaine Creek boat trip is a good one for grayling if it’s nice and the lower river has rainbows.

I found the size 10 Gamakatsu circle hooks were incredible for beads.

Jim’s boats run up to the Brooks River and Margot Creek. Both have incredible rainbow fishing. Margot has great dolly fishing too. Brooks gets hammered and the trout fishing is technical. Bring some size 12 flash back hare’s ear nymphs on good hooks. They took those instead of beads because they see so many beads.

The bear viewing is amazing. Don’t rely on your cell phone for pics. Get a decent camera.

10 foot seven weight is the ideal rod for bead fishing. 9 foot 5 weight for the dries.

If you’re a picky eater or want wine/beer, you can mail things to the camp ahead of time. I sent beef jerky and granola bars. The food is good but it’s nice to have extras for snacks.

Have a blast and please post a lot of photos!

brushbuster and Dorf-on-Steel like this.
  12. Dorf-on-Steel

Dorf-on-Steel

BB,
    Nice looking fly selection, lots of color variation. The dry flies in the box, are they Elk Hare Caddis, Adams, Hares Ear?
    Phil

brushbuster likes this.
  13. brushbuster

brushbuster

My Grayling box is 2 sided. On one side I have various drys consisting of adams, elk hair caddis, Roberts drakes, humpies, royal wullfs,bees, coachmen. I use a lot of high riding flies for dry flies. The other side is my wet flies. I use alot of bead head soft hackles, copper johns, hares ear, red butt wooly bugers, muddlers.It's a well proven interior box of flies that I have used for years.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018