Wolves

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Gillgitter, Sep 15, 2020.

1. eucman

eucman

Wolves across the pond have a rich history of killing people. For some reason their North American counterparts almost none. Why?

2. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

Since 1950-2002:

North America: 3 wolf attacks
    Europe and Russia: 8 wolf attacks

There is a long history of wolf attacks in Europe, particularly France... but a lot of the attacks attributed to wolves (particularly in the reign of Louis XIV) were actually other, escaped, captive carnivores.

3. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Had a wolf trail me once in eagle River, ak. Sheep hunting about 8 miles in with a bud. I had to go into work for a day and as I was jogging out, the dog paced me for about 3 miles. Stayed roughly 20 yards in the woods and just behind me. When I got closer to the trail head, it disappeared.

Problem with coexistence is that times are different than 100 years ago, hell 50 for that matter. People are generally stupid and a high number of people are to citified. Unless you live in the sticks, most folks don't know how to deal with wild animals, hence the problem.

In Anchorage there is an area that people have been building really nice homes cuz its in a high valley with amazing views. Its called bear valley. Alot of the folks up there complain to the municipality of the bears. They get in the trash, they walk down the roads, they are afraid to let fifi out, etc. Here's your sign.....you moved to place named bear valley.

You can't change society, so you need to manage the animals

4. capper

capper Premium Member

I think I remember reading somewhere, a long time ago- that in Europe- when there was an outbreak of the plague or they had a severe famine where lots of people died- especially in the winter when the ground was frozen and they couldn’t bury their dead- they just left the bodies outside on the ground and pretty soon the Wolves started eating them and in that way developed a taste for human flesh and have passed that trait on to the present day Wolves.

eucman likes this.
  5. eucman

eucman

It might be around low double digits a year for the last 5-6 hundred years? Still blows North America away. I assume if the Native Americans here had wolf attacks/maneating by wolves they would have documented something.
    I know when you are eaten... well... you are gone, so who can say what happened to you.
    I know there are included rabies influenced attacks as well. Still
    Their wolves seem to know we are edible...

6. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Its getting to be dogman time up here.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  7. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Nothing. Both are a thing and they shall remain.

For many reasons.

8. John Hine

John Hine

I watched 2 wolves lift the corner of my four wheeler front rack & take a partridge right out of there. I was calling coyotes south of Trout Creek & watched the whole thing thru the scope of my .223. It took them about 15 minutes to figure it out, it was amazing. I got a wolf tag the very first year they offered them, hunted near Agate falls & saw wolves 2 different days but couldn’t close the deal.

Man, I sure love it up there!

LushLife, capper and eggfly like this.
  9. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

You provide a good illustration of the difference between state wide distribution and localized U.P. distribution...Michigan's Dept. of Natural Resources is not exactly strong on public sector communication unless that need exists where population density is highest.

I know of only one instance where wolves actually threatened a human here in the U.P. A very outspoken anti-wolf forester stated that he bumped into a wolf pack on a fresh kill while walking out on a logging road. The kill site was on a pretty tight loop in the woods road and he retreated when the wolves made threatening vocalizations and physical posturing. After climbing up in the tree he was surrounded by several pack members. However, he concluded, after piecing the noise of the pack feeding while he was up in the tree that he climbed the tree not very far from where the kill site was due to the loop in the woods road.

One aspect of wolf population existence that has been left-out in this discussion, particularly when you overlay the weather related migration and intermixing of the deer population in many sections of the U.P. is that wolves will, or already have played a significant role in the reduction of spread of CWD within the U.P. There is a mountain lion predation study done in the west (Colorado) that was well controlled that concluded they preferentially fed on CWD positive cervids reducing spread of prions as well as lowering disease transmission rates. When you overlay CWD prevalence in Wisconsin with wolf density, what is evident is that disease transmission rates are highest where wolf densities are either very low or non-existent.

10. Tom (mich)

Tom (mich) Premium Member

Fact - 80% of the European kills occurred in Transylvania. Saw it in a movie.

Lever4ever and pescadero like this.
  11. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

An all time classic

12. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Wiki has a long list of North American wolf attacks. Here's one of several from michigan. In large numbers they were a problem. Reading the stories I assume packs were huge.

Screenshot_20201001-181516.png

Thirty pointer and John Hine like this.
  13. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

PerchPatrol likes this.