Wolves

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Gillgitter, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

I stopped by The Keg Bar in Waters tonight. I overheard some old boy telling his buddy he saw a Gray Wolf in Wilderness Valley west of Waters on Mancelona road. His buddy asked him if it could have been a Coyote and he said the animal he saw could carry a coyote in its mouth.

I say doubtful but who knows...

2. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Could be who knows for sure. My wife and I saw one that was standing in a field by HL that sure looked like wolf. We saw one that I am sure was a wold north of Kalkaska sitting along theroad in the pines. I had tracks here that were 4 1/2 inches across one summer before they were allowed to run bear dogs. The DNR got a plastercast of one set but never heard anything back. Are they here it could be possible no one knows for sure and once one is shot that will be kept quiet

Harol likes this.

3. eggfly

eggfly

jashroomer and PerchPatrol like this.
  4. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

Better start carrying on my walks. Coyotes don't worry me, Black Bears don't worry me but Wolves are a whole different story.

5. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

I have seen some big coyotes between Mancelona and Waters but never a Wolf. I believe that area could hold one or two. Its a big area, seen Bobcats in there also.

brushbuster likes this.
  6. ongo

ongo

Seen one a few years back. North-bound 127, between Muskegon river and So Higgins lk. exit.That time of the mourning where your headlights are still on but you can see ok without em. It was about half-way between the road and the fence line brush, feeding on a roadkill deer. There were two coyotes with butts up high and heads low to the ground. Looking like they wanted some of what the big boy had. It tilted it's head towards them and those two coyotes were back two the fence line in a blink of an eye! That big a$$ wolf stood it's ground as I drove by. Years ago I thought I seen a wolf before. But after this sighting I then knew it must have been an alpha coyote. This thing was well over a hundred pounds. It looked like it was all head and chest. MASSIVE!!

capper and eggfly like this.
  7. MEL

MEL Premium Member

Seen them when fishing the upper manistee in Deward. Never carried while fishing......I do now.

brushbuster and ongo like this.
  8. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

And the people reported cougars and even a wolverine in the LP were laughed at.

9. jimbo

jimbo

back in the early 80s, while deer hunting the northern lower, I saw what I thought was a huge coyote. What I thought was strange, was it had a red tint to it, similar to a red fox.
    beautiful animal

10. BMARKS

BMARKS

I saw a wolf and two pups crossing the road in front of me on jackpine planes road in lovells. probably 2015 or 16.

11. capper

capper Premium Member

Back in 1957 - we were all up deer hunting on my uncles 80 acres near Curtisville,Mi and one morning I was walking slow along a hardwood ridge and down below in the little valley that ran into a swamp I saw what I at first thought was two big dogs trotting along hunting - but then I realized they were not dogs so I killed the biggest one and hit the other one running with my 0/6 but never found it after the blood trail stopped.
    I was just 18 yrs old and dad drove me to find a trapper who bought the animal from me and told me it was a Grey Wolf.

12. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I love that area.

Not surprised in the least either.

capper likes this.
  13. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I have never seen a wolf in the wild, in Michigan. Given the choice, I would feel safer around wolves than people.

14. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I've spent alot of time in the wilds of the Yoop, never felt the need to carry. But can see where some might. I've seen a few wolves while scouting or hunting up there,even had them running around our neighborhood . Never felt threatened but I know they are hell on dogs.

15. motdean

motdean

Back around the turn of the century, I was hunting in a state game area in the metro area. As I was walking out the main trail after a morning hunt, I looked to my left and up on a hill, I saw what I believed to be a wolf. I couldn't believe it. It appeared to be circling around looking down at me. I kept an eye on it as I continued down the path. Another 30 seconds or so later, there was another one walking at me down the main trail, just ahead of a hiker. I then presumed that I mistook them as wolves and they were really some breed of dog. I chatted with the hiker for a couple of minutes, telling him what beautiful animals they were. He told me that they were both 100% wolf and the one that circled above me was very timid and stayed away from humans.

Shortly after that, I had a guy that worked for me that had two at one time as well. It seems to me that the second one passed away just before I started working with him.

This is a little different than the OP's topic, but can you imagine walking in the woods in metro Detroit and thinking you are seeing a wolf?!?

Beartreed, DanSS26 and martini77 like this.