Wolves planted on Isle Royale

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mattawanhunter, May 18, 2018.

1. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

I was listening to some lib from Michigan Tech on PBS yesterday and I couldn't believe my ears, that they were bringing wolves to Isle Royale. They say to control the moose population. How about having a moose hunt or if there is one already more permits mr. liberal! I obviously know nothing about hunting on Isle Royale....
    Yes I know I posted in the whitetail deer section, and yes my whitetail deer hunting has been majorly affected by the reintroduction of the wolf to the upper peninsula!

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/03/16/isle-royale-wolves/431148002/

motdean and Sparky23 like this.
  2. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Well they do have a lot of money to spend on foolishness .As if the $500,000 hog study did not use enough .Meanwhile they will struggle to find funds for CWD testing ...go figure .

3. swampbuck

swampbuck

Isle Royale is a national park. It is closed to hunting.

4. Nostromo

Nostromo

So it seems.

5. sniper

sniper

Yes it is, then common sense should creep in and say it should be open to hunting..

Sent from my LG-H871 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Scott K, Sparky23 and mattawanhunter like this.
  6. swampbuck

swampbuck

I don't disagree with that. But it is not up to the DNR, The NPS and USFW is in charge.

They do a limited Buffalo hunt out west, so it's not impossible.

I will say though, It would be less challenging than hunting in a high fence.

jr28schalm likes this.
  7. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

Imagine that a national park closed to hunting what a shock, we won't hunt in the National Forest anymore the Liberals in Washington and the environmentalist don't want people hunting in the National Forest!

They have made it perfectly clear by all their rules of where you can drive quads, where you can camp etc. And Barney one bullet Park Rangers writing tickets with huge fines,part of my buddies old hunting group, will never return to the U P to hunt on a national forest again just because of this!

8. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

I guess if they made it across the ice,it would take him a while to get to Michigan!

9. wildthing

wildthing

Yes it is. Hunting was never even considered as an option. They knew that with only 2 wolves remaining (father and daughter) that the moose would soon overpopulate and degrade the habitat until they all eventually starved to death. The NPS' response to that situation was to shoot the moose from helicopters if needed to keep their numbers in check.

Let's face it....not everyone believes that hunting is a viable management tool.

Also, since they decided to introduce more wolves to the island, Rolf Peterson from MTU can keep his job of studying the wolf/moose relationship on the island....who knows maybe it will look somewhat different than it has for the last 30-40 years that he has been doing it.

10. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

You can thank all the slobs for that. Wish Manistee had some rangers with b@lls

11. mbrewer

mbrewer

Ya gotta admit it's kind of ironic what's perfectly clear to you and what isn't.

mattawanhunter and Dish7 like this.
  12. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

That's exactly what I was thinking!

What a joke to think they would change their mind!

Wolves will solve the problem, just ask Jim Hammell!

13. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

I wish a lot of the federal Forest would become Michigan state land!

QUOTE="jr28schalm, post: 6762948, member: 18164"]You can thank all the slobs for that. Wish Manistee had some rangers with b@lls[/QUOTE]

14. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Nonsense, maybe you should reasearch the size of Isle Royale

I don't know too many hunters that would be prepared to move a moose carcass as much as 20-30 miles to remove it from the Island, would you be?

kingfisher 11 and Just Lucky like this.
  15. Stubee

Stubee

I’ve been to Isle Royale, spent a week there. It’s a unique place, an interesting mix of forest types. Never seen anything quite like it, and I’ve hunted in mid & NLP, UP MI, plus Canada from New Brunswick to N Quebec/Labrador, and many years in NW ONT. There are a lotta wolves in the latter. In a bad year for the deer it’s a good year for the wolves, then things switch around again and the wolves aren’t so happy. Been going on forever up there. Just so ya know, there ain’t many wolf lovers up there, they do shoot ‘em but don’t get very worked up when they are running like crazy like they were a few years ago.

Isle Royale is a small and quite contained little ecosystem. Things between the moose & wolves get outta balance sometimes, and it sounds like they are just trying to bring more wolves in to try to achieve a bit of balance again. They’ve been studying the predator/prey thing there for many years.

I love to hunt but don’t see Isle Royale as a spot I’d choose to do that. Maybe guys that are really interested in what’s going on up there could go up and spend some time to check it out. It’s a beautiful place.

Just Lucky likes this.