Wish they all fell this way

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by pgpn123, Jan 11, 2021 at 1:04 PM.

1. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Agree - I know the experts say to notch it back 20% but I usually go a little more - maybe 25%. On smaller diameter trees it is more difficult to use wedges without getting in the way of the chain so if I have a leaner I will often take the time to help the tree fall where I want it by tying a rope on it and giving it a little "tug" (usually tied to the tractor) in the direction I want it to go. In fact, I will be doing that a little later today on a couple of maples that are leaning a little towards Elaine's favorite box blind....wish me luck :)

pgpn123 likes this.
  2. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Barber chairing a tree is caused from excess stress built in to the trunk usually from a hard lean. (BTW which most people think makes cutting those trees simple.) Then trying to cut through the tree which then collapses without sufficient penetration to the hinge..

The best way to get around a barber chair potential tree is to use a plunge cut with a sufficient holding strap behind the hinge and a safety chain around the trunk above the hinge and felling cut..

Many years ago the state gave a free class that I went to. The class was on tree cutting safety. I learned a lot from that class, mostly that I had done it wrong for a long time and fortunately didn't get injured..

We don't know the answers to questions we don't even know to ask..

Scout 2, jrose, sureshot006 and 2 others like this.

3. pgpn123

pgpn123

Great post. I should look into a class, course, or at least watch some instructional videos.

4. grapestomper

grapestomper

I think that's great. Keeps the tree off the ground to cut into pieces.
    just back up when you see it start to fall.

FullQuiver likes this.
  5. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Look up Game of Logging.. Probably the best classes available on the subject..

BTW when felling trees use the largest sharpest saw you own. Small, slow or dull saws should never be used for felling trees

6. usedtobeayooper

usedtobeayooper

Agree on the rope. Took 4 very easy 40-ish ft spruce out of the yard this summer that were way too close to the house (some within 15').... tied them all off even though it never became an issue. Didnt need a rope. But the time invested in the insurance was cheap vs the possibility of cleaning up a minor screw up that goes bad. Rather do it right the first time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MichiFishy and Wild Thing like this.
  7. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Yep - The rope just gives me some insurance in case it is more top heavy on one side, or a stiff breeze comes along, or I don't quite notch it right or it has more lean than I anticipated, or whatever. A little tension on the rope encourages the tree to fall where I want it to fall. I notch the tree first and then put some tension on the rope before making the felling cut.

These maples were not all that big and they had been marked for harvest on our last timber sale but I think the loggers must have been a little gun shy about taking them down so they left them. I just took a ladder and my 100' rope out on the Gator, tied one end of the rope around the tree and then went around another larger maple in the direction I wanted to fell them and then tied the other end to the receiver hitch on the Gator.

Tied to the tree maybe 10' or so high...

IMG_2745.jpg

One down and one to go...

IMG_2746 (2).jpg

Happy to have a 100' rope so I can keep the Gator or farm tractor out of the way when the tree comes down...

IMG_2749 (1).jpg

Voila! Trees are down safely and I don't have to rebuild Elaine's blind :)

IMG_2747 (1).jpg

The deer have a little browse to chew on over winter and I will come back in the spring to buck up the firewood.

IMG_2752.jpg

I've got another nice maple in my sugar bush that I noticed is dying so I will drop that one soon to provide some more winter browse and then buck it up in the spring.

sparky18181 and MichiFishy like this.
  8. pgpn123

pgpn123

Under misery loves company, are those wedge cuts more than 25%? (don't make me drive up there)

9. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

LOL. OK I’ll fess up pgpn - the first one was probably more like 30-35%. I cut the 20-25% level cut OK but I had to cut the first tree about head high so when I made the wedge cut down it was a little deeper than I had planned so I had to cut deeper on the flush cut. Man...you got good eyes! :)

I am pretty sure the second one I nailed right at 22.5% :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021 at 5:04 PM
    pgpn123 likes this.