Wire line for divers worth the money?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1fishingnut, Aug 6, 2013.

1. 1fishingnut

1fishingnut

Is there much of an advantage to the wire rods set ups for divers VS braided line? I would appreciate any feedback.

2. sswhitelightning

sswhitelightning

I fished with wire and supposedly it dives deeper and runs straight, but I personally like the user friendly and strength of braid. Roller rods and kinks turn me off,same with coppers but it catches fish. I can't say more than braid in my trials. I don't own any wire currently and no hurry to

3. 1fishingnut

1fishingnut

Great point on the wire line kinks, thanks for the reply.

4. dlsdrz400

dlsdrz400

Worth every penny. Bloodrun wire is the way to go. Twili tip on the rod eliminate the hassle of a roller tip. 60% or more of my fish fall to wire.(could be the meat rigs too)

5. FPFowler

FPFowler

Been fishing wire on our dipsey rods for years and IMO its the only way to fly. We use those springy looking tips, no rollers and we have not noticed any wear on the other guides whatsoever. It's my favorite way to watch a king hit and take off, I swear they move the friggin boat when they tear one off!

6. AustinT

AustinT

Wire is wellllllllllll worth it. After fishing wire and braid side by side. I will never put another braid diver out again. Although if you want to run Wire I would get the shimmano roler rods with the swivel roller tip. I have also used standard rods with twilly tips and i like those too but i prefer roller rods beause of the thin diameter of the wire. I have had a couple burn throught the eyes of the rods. But everyone has their own opinions on things.:D

7. AustinT

AustinT

I should add that the wire dosnt burn through very often but when it does it just seems like it is at the most inconveinant time..

8. 1fishingnut

1fishingnut

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I will spring for a set. Sounds like they would be fun to muscle in a pig.:D

9. sswhitelightning

sswhitelightning

I been hearing lots of negatives about blood run wire. I know a couple pro teams dropped blood run for consistent wire breaking. We broke one sunday 100 foot up from diver just releasing diver. Hope it's not as bad as I hear. I haven't had much issue with their copper. Though I have broke the 60# just tying knots and pulling tight. Makes me nervous when king hits.

10. AustinT

AustinT

Agreed!! Bloodrun isnt consistent at all.. One spool of wire or copper is good and the next is junk!! If you want wire use Mason. Cheap and TUFF!!

11. grizzly

grizzly

I had one until today now have 2. We fished 8/1 to 8/3. One wire setup accounted for 2/3 rds of our hits. We caught 27 fish in those 3 days. Not a huge count but the size made it all worth while. The hot setup was a blue 10 inch I believe spin doctor with a riverside fly. Smoking.

Was just happy to finally get to the big water and get a feel for something that takes 200 to 300 feet on the first run. I love my walleye but nothing like these monsters.

Grizzly.

Yes its worth the money. I had a braid diver on the opposite side 1 rip that is it.

12. j1musser

j1musser

definitely get the wire. one of my best upgrades

13. slightofhand

slightofhand

You broke one Sunday...but you said

"I fished with wire and supposedly it dives deeper and runs straight, but I personally like the user friendly and strength of braid.......I don't own any wire currently and no hurry to"

Wire is great either way, sometimes with roller rods the wire will pop out of the roller near the tip. We cut back once in a while if our divers get crossed when a fish hits and runs out into the other..

Our biggest fish by far have come on that wire, with spin doctors and flies.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  14. Big Shooter

Big Shooter

I agree with AustinT. Wire is the best. I have been using the Shimano Talora roller guide rods ( one on each side of the boat) for the last eight years and love them. You feel everything the fish is doing and all the guests on my boat love catching fish on them over the lead, cooper, or mono rods. I rarely have problems with kinks. The Talora rods are pricey but come with a lifetime guarantee. I had a tip come loose on a 7 year old rod last year and shipped it to them and insted of repairing it they sent me a new one! They cost around $125.00 per rod not including the reel. Good fishin!

15. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

This makes me nervous, I'm ready to purchase 3 spools of their copper!!!:yikes: I bought some of the BloodRun downrigger mono, and the first time I used it and released it from the rigger ball, it broke half way down. Lost a custom made fly and a "special" Pro King flasher that I bought at the GR show. Was not happy...