Winter cottage closing toilet question.

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by MSUFW07, Oct 11, 2020.

1. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

In 24 years, we have never used a plunger or dipped the water out of the bowl at our cabin. Here's what we do:
    1. Shut off water
    2. Flush toilet and hold down the flush valve until all water is out of the tank
    3. Pour a little RV antifreeze to tank
    4. Pour about a 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze in the bowl, which is also the trap. We use about a gallon in the garage toilet, because it doesn't get used in the winter at all.

jampg and sureshot006 like this.
  2. deepwoods

deepwoods

I do like the others when needed but also disassemble the top of the ballcock mechanism to allow the water to drain back out of the line.

3. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

That picture is totally misleading on how a toilet works. It does not show the water that goes in at the bottom of the bowl forcing things over and out of the trap.

4. hommer23

hommer23

Do you mean the siphon jet? This cut away shows where a toilet will hold water. You can see under the tank there is a spot that will hold water that needs to be filled to prevent freezing. You can see the ring around the bowl that can old water but seldom does unless the inner holes are plugged. You can see the bowl and siphon jet and chamber for the siphon jet if you look close you will see that will not hold water if the bowl is empty. If you read post 4 you will see I said fill tank and flush, the picture I posted in post 8 was to show the trap did not hold water so no need to plunge the toilet.
    760A148E-CCB8-4D5C-8077-5B33D6286297.jpeg

5. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

That is not what I am talking about.
    The original photo makes it look like the water that actually pushes the water over the trap comes from the holes around the top edge of the toilet. In fact it comes from the hole in the bottom front of the bottom of the bowl.
    It is hard to see but you can see it above the open area toward the front of the bottom of the bowl in your picture.
    You can force flush most of the water out of the bowl by dumping 4 or 5 gallons of water into the toilet.
    I can see where you are talking about that might hold some water. I always run a little bit of anti freeze thorough the tank as well before I put anything in the bowl.

6. hommer23

hommer23

That hole is the siphon jet. When you flush the toilet the water comes out if the holes in the ring adding water to the bowl. When the water starts to flow over the high part of he trap it creates a siphon and sucks the water out of the bowl. As it sucks the water out of the bowl it draws the water out of the siphon jet the 3/4” (approximately) hole until the chamber is low enough to allow air into the low point of the trap or bowl allowing the siphon to be broken, air behind water. Unless you have a power flush toilet, it works on suction caused by gravity fed water not water pressure coming from the hole at the bottom front of the bowl.

7. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

Thanks for all the reply's guys and as someone said, traditions do die hard. I am sure that is why the sponge still sits beside the toilet in its cool whip container, no one wants to be the one to throw it away, not even myself. Someday when I am gone and my kids take over they can toss the sponge and neither grandpa, mom nor I will be none the wiser.

One thing I hadn't thought about the water round the outside of the bowl that washes it down when you flush and that staying in there freezing. Next time I will put RV antifreeze into the tank and flush just that down to help with that. And RV antifreeze is cheap so literally flushing it down the drain isn't expensive.

Team Camo and sureshot006 like this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

I wouldnt be touching a 30 yr old poopy sponge anyway lol.

GrizzlyHunter likes this.
  9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Don’t forget to add RV anti freeze to all the sink traps too.

ridgewalker and DigitalGuru like this.
  10. And the tub/shower, dishwasher and clothes washing machine if you have any of those.

11. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

We have had a resort in the Keweenaw since 1970. All we have ever done is to flush out all the water possible blow out all of the water lines put antifreeze in all of the traps and call it good. Never had a p-trap or toilet freeze.

12. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

That’s the best answer yet. RV antifreeze will do the job perfectly, but won’t save you from an &@* chewing.
    Use the antifreeze and stuff the sponge in there.
    Contrary to popular belief, I have a mother too. I can see myself in your situation. Use gloves, dunk the sponge, it’ll make her happy.

usedtobeayooper likes this.
  13. i am- i hunt

i am- i hunt

that's the way i do it.

GrizzlyHunter likes this.
  14. Get a cheap siphon with the bulb on it and use it to remove the water in the tank and bowl. It will take the water down to minimal level. I use about a half Gallon of rv antifreeze in the tank and bowl. Been doing this for 20 years. Never a problem

15. grapestomper

grapestomper

I have a airline hook up in front of a valve on my pump.
    I always open all the sinks and whatever else then blow the water out.
    Takes about 2 minutes. Add rv antifreeze to the traps and disconnect the toilet water.
    Never had an issue. We do this probably every 3 weeks in the winter. simple to do.
    I also blow the well line backwards to the well. Don't need the line into the camp to freeze.

here2 likes this.