Winchester model 100

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by Lumberman, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

I have an old Winchester model 100 that I use for deer hunting. It been passed down through the family and is in immaculate condition. Looks brand new.

I take care of the gun and always clean and oil after use. It's stored in my safe with the rest of my guns.

Here's the thing even when it's clean and well oiled if it sits for awhile the bolt jams and will not open. Once I knock it open its start working fine again. Guns works flawless until it sits for awhile.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

2. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

The gas piston is sticking. Take the bolt out of the butt stock and the bolt out of the forearm. Pull the bolt half way open and the barrel and action will come out of the stock. You will see a spit type lock ring. Take it off and clean up the piston and the sleeve it is in. You have to pullback the bolt and kind of spring the piston to get it out. It is imperative to keep this clean as it can totally seize up. If it does the only way you get it apart is to bust the stock.

I just shot another deer with my model 100 in 284 yesterday. Taking a break from cutting meat right now. My son is using my Model 100 308 since I bought the 284. I carried that from the late 60's until about 10 years ago.

kroppe likes this.

3. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Thanks multi beard. Great guns I hope this resolves the issue.

4. multibeard

I do not know if there should be a lube used or not. I always clean mine after season. I have had it lock up so tight I had to bump it against a tree to get it open. I wish I knew how many miles the old 308 rode on my shoulder still hunting over the years. I do now that it has taken four deer laying in their beds.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  5. GuppyII

GuppyII

Great guns.. we use model 88's almost exclusively at our deer camp. If anyone is looking for a pre 64 M100 in 308 I have one available.

6. GIDEON

GIDEON

Please PM me with some details

7. topgun47

topgun47

Oil isn't as great a lubricant as is usually advertised for bolts. Oil will attract dust and dirt and gum up eventually.

Liquid graphite, silicone or even trans fluid is probably a better choice for bolts and inaccessible areas that don't get stripped down and cleaned as often, and won't gum up as quick.

8. multibeard

It is not the bolt that is actually sticking. It is the gas piston that can rust shut. If you can not get the bolt half way open you are not going to be able to get the gun apart other than cutting up the stock.

This reminds me that I need to get the firing pin replaced in the 284 Model 100 that I got from my cousins estate. There was a recall years ago and this one never had the pin replaced. If you have a model 100, Winchester has on record if the one you have has had the pin replaced.