Will you kill a deer in the core CWD zone if you cannot get it tested?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Pinefarm2015, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium

I have been using my number from the red tag and now I tried my DL#..still the same...no results.

2. junkman

junkman

If you turned in the head for testing they should have given you a small white tag with some numbers on it.Put those numbers in to get your test results.

3. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium

Carl, I am thinking that since I live in the core zone, the tags are red. I eventually did get my results...negative for both TB & CWD!

4. junkman

junkman

Glad to hear that everything's good.

5. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium

Well now I have a conundrum. Another poster mentioned what about cross contamination?
    I was originally thinking as long as we don't have venison sausage type products made since they mix x number of pounds of product with their seasoning and just sell the packaged product we wouldn't have anything to worry about. But since any place that does processing isn't going to sterilize everything after each deer, unfortunately it looks like it is just a crap shoot. It won't matter where you take it if one does not cut the deer up themselves.

6. Groundsize

Groundsize

I have a doe tag for Hillsdale county. I plan on using in the next two weeks. I don't plan on testing.

triplelunger likes this.
  7. Bobby072

Bobby072

I shot two bucks and had them both tested. Was not that hard.
    Load them on the truck drive to DNR station where they cut the antlers off for you and cut the head off for testing and even give you a free patch.

Then I drove one to a processor and the other I hung in a buddies meat locker for aging and later we butchered it.

I got the results back on both around 10 days later. I would say if you go hunting for deer you have a freezer ready to go. I bought a small 5 cft one on sale for $99.00 at best buy. Probably can hold 4 deer.

For those that have never see what the lab results page look like here is one. They even age the deer. You can see 3.5 years on mine.

[​IMG]

Liver and Onions likes this.
  8. triplelunger

triplelunger

I shot a deer in Wyoming, and a couple in Ohio, and didn't test any of them. Have been feeding on them heavily already... not even so much as a headache!
    You've got a better chance of getting shot by another hunter than even shooting a positive deer, let alone contracting CWD.

9. Bobby072

Bobby072

Lol, not even a headache! Prion disease does not work that fast. Need to let it age a few years or more.

10. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

You have a higher chance of eating tainted meat or produce you buy from the grocery store than eating a CWD positive deer... but we are supposed to trust what we buy from the grocery store because some government agency tells us so.

DirtySteve likes this.
  11. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

something sounds off about that.

12. triplelunger

triplelunger

well, it's a fact, so take it to the bank, bro!

13. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Dang, what a shame this man is gone.

14. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Seems like there were more cwd positive deer killed than hunters killed. I must not be thinking of it in the right way.

15. Groundsize

Groundsize

What about the hundreds if not thousands of CWD positive deer eaten in Wisconsin with no effect????