Will you kill a deer in the core CWD zone if you cannot get it tested?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Pinefarm2015, Aug 11, 2018.

1. stickman1978

stickman1978

2. Walleyze247

Walleyze247

I saw a DNR check station/trailer set up in the parking lot of Hutch's (grocery store) in Spring Arbor yesterday.

3. JDHunts

JDHunts

I saw one in Newaygo, on the corner of M 82, and M 37, yesterday, in the old Plumbs parking lot.

4. Groundsize

Groundsize

I'm not sure if I'll get a deer tested this year or not hunting in Hillsdale or Kzoo. I'll make that decision when it happens. This whole thing is completely ridiculous.

5. Groundsize

Groundsize

Man this post made me laugh. I needed it actually.

6. stickman1978

stickman1978

That might be a good idea, lol.

vandermi and LabtechLewis like this.
  7. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

My BIL just called the DNR about testing his doe he shot this week. They told him they weren't interested in testing his deer from Berrien County, because they don't believe CWD is in our area. How do they know if it's not in our area if they don't test them? They said that he could have it tested, but it would be a waste of his time to drive there and drop off the head.

vandermi likes this.
  8. Titan34

Titan34

Not sure why so many people are dismissing this as a non issue! Some of the articles that I have read from Wisconsin are down right demoralizing.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  9. vandermi

vandermi

1% is too much to feed it to my family.

10. vandermi

vandermi

We
    We do not plan on killing as much as usual. We have decided that if it is a trophy we want to deal with we will take it. I am afraid that we are no longer in the group that use venison for all of our meat for the year. We normally shoot 3-4 for consumption for the year, now even with a clean test we are not sure we will feed it to our children. We also cut our own and do not have the ability to store a deer waiting for a test result. It is a lot of work to process a deer to just thorow it away after a delayed test result or DNR running out of resources to test at all.

11. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Totally agree. We are testing all of our deer. My response was to post #8 where that member said that they would only process their own after getting the test results back. Very few of us have the ability to store a deer at 38* for about 10 days waiting for test results.
    To date (1) we take the deer to processor (2) drop off head or glands (3) pick up meat when processed and store in deep freeze separated from other meat (4) wait for results.
    The 8 results returned have been negative.

L & O

phantom cls likes this.
  12. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

I shot a buck the other day that I thought was acting strange in Jackson County. I would not have shot this deer otherwise. I took it to the Waterloo check station where they cut off the head and gave me a little tag with a number on it. Told me in 7-9 days to check for results on the website. I took the deer to a processor out of the zone who said they would keep it froze until I get the results. If it was good they would process after it tested clean.

13. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

Has anybody on here shot one that has came back positive?

14. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium

It's been two weeks since I turned in a head and still nothing on the site. Looks like I will be doing some calling tomorrow!

U of M Fan likes this.
  15. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Should be able to enter your drivers license or # on the tag. I entered my license number and it did not come up. Entered tag number and it was there. Give that a try. DCPs so that might be the difference.

L & O

Richard Cranium likes this.