Will you kill a deer in the core CWD zone if you cannot get it tested?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Pinefarm2015, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015 Retired

How many hunters in the CWD core zone won’t kill a deer, if they can’t get it tested, either due to the inconvenience or the testing quota is filled?

Everyone seems to think there’s going to be a deer slaughter in the CWD core zone. I’m not so sure.

If we have the capacity to only check some 20,000-25,000 deer each year, what happens when MDNR can’t test anyone deer in a given year?

Who is going to go out and shoot a deer in the CWD core zone if they can’t get tested?

If the testing quota is filled by late October, who is going to continue hunting and eating deer as normal in the core zone in November and December and who is going to essentially just trophy hunt at that point?

mbrewer likes this.
  2. giver108

giver108

Nashville, TN but back to Manistee someday
    I think there will be a spike in the amount of deer being donated for food shelters, etc. in those areas. The question will be what are those places going to do? Take the donated meat and potentially face a virtue shaming social media backlash?

Groundsize, Eric Bee and mbrewer like this.

3. rwenglish1

rwenglish1

I would say yes if the deer looks rock solid healthy as in the past.
    Unless the DNR issues warning like they do for Fish so they don’t get sued for not letting people know the river has some kind of contaminate.

PH I would hope you are showing concern and not just spreading the peanut butter a little to thick.

If I am not mistaken there is no sicence or data linking it to affect humans , then why suggest or scare them to thinking it will harm them.

Does that make sense it has been here no doubt people have ate deer being a carrier of the prions.

As of now it’s like eating pan fish with tiny grubs people say just cook and eat the fish it has not killed anyone.

RKPTA likes this.
  4. Just Lucky

Just Lucky

Yes I will. I did last year and should I be fortunate enough this year to tag one, I will enjoy eating it, assuming of course, the animal appears to be healthy, etc. Am I taking a risk, I suppose some may say so, but hey I take some risk every time I drive out to my hunting area, climb up into the tree, etc. And for me, I could not participate in strictly a trophy hunt scenario. Frankly, to me each animal taken is a trophy and every hunt is to be cherished.

5. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Is anyone planning to pre-dig gravesites for on-site burial once season arrives?

plugger, 12Point and phantom cls like this.
  6. jackbob42

jackbob42

Just like before CWD ……
    If it looks healthy , I will kill one and eat it.

RKPTA, lizajane, Trout King and 2 others like this.
  7. Vicious Fishous

Vicious Fishous

I’d rather have it tested before I eat it.
    Those prions could possibly mutate and affect humans down the line. Then we’d have real zombies.
    The fact that a deer could also be carrying CWD and still “look fine” for the first year or more, definitely makes me want to test it before eating it, or feeding it to those I like/love.

8. phantom cls

phantom cls Premium Member

i will not eat any deer unless its been tested. i will not be using a processor either, i'll cut my own if it test negative.

Groundsize likes this.
  9. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

We all understand why you would take those steps, however if it takes around 7-10 days to get results are you going to process the deer and keep that meat separated in your freezer ? Not likely that many have of us have a large enough cooler to keep a deer for that long at a constant 38 degrees.
    So far in your area the single positive was about 6 miles away. Roughly 100 tested in the Twp. so about 1% testing positive.

L & O

10. phantom cls

phantom cls Premium Member

i don't plan on taking a deer until its cold enough to hang until i get results back. may video hunt until then or just chase walleyes on the bay until the dnr has a better handle on things.

11. Groundsize

Groundsize

CWD looks just as healthy as the next deer as long as CWD prion in the deer is not in the advanced stages.
    Deer Biologist Bryan Richards states that Buck deer in the core 4 county area of Wisconsin have a prevalence rate of 30-50% meaning up to 50% of bucks have CWD. Most are not visually positive with CWD until testing is done. Also up to 30% of doe have positive CWD. Do you not think this will happen in Michigan?????
    Remember hunting in the CWD zone will be no different than Wisconsin. There will be a slaughter due to special seasons and even dead zones with few to no deer.

I think most of you guys should watch the podcast with Joe Rogan when he interviews Dr Bryan Richards.

Titan34 likes this.
  12. hear fishie fishie

hear fishie fishie

Nope just leave it at check station if it cant be tested. It the states deer and thus their problem. If there's just a drop box, even better, leave whole deer but gotta remember to take your tag off and with you.
    Maybe wear your hunting mask in case there are surveillance cameras.:hide::hide::yikes:

phantom cls likes this.
  13. JDHunts

JDHunts

They may be done testing by then, they can only afford to test so many. I think around 23k if I heard right.

phantom cls likes this.
  14. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Yeah but only if it's a wall hanger. I don't shoot them for the meat anyway.

G20man likes this.
  15. U D

U D