Wildlife lab closed?!?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Justsayin, Aug 14, 2020.

1. motdean

motdean

Jerk! :D

mbrewer likes this.
  2. motdean

motdean

I just listened to the replay.

It was priceless when Lashbrook asked who had responsibility of the lab........and the Director stepped in and said that he did.....and then indicated that it was his signature at the bottom of the MOU.

Will this be the next lawsuit against the DNR...?

3. swampbuck

swampbuck

Having the lab workers become infected with TB, may have had something to do with closing it down. As failure to contain a disease should.

Pretty shoddy situation for our state wildlife agency

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. Hear fishy fishy

Hear fishy fishy

I was thinking the same thing as I read this and also money.

5. swampbuck

swampbuck

And to make it even worse, they not only didnt notify hunters in the area those deer were killed. And tried to cover it up

And punished the whistleblower who revealed it.

I dont see how anyone could consider their actions appropriate.

This state deserves better.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

FYI, the DCPAH/VDL side of the building is not part of the state. They are basically completely separate besides the fact that they are located in the same building. There are a very few samples that go from the DCPAH side to the DNR side. The DNR also gives MSU their waste, both animal parts (deer heads) and PPE to be incinerated. That was part of the deal for the state to build the building itself that they be able to incinerate things on site. So its a cooperative and not dual agencies of the state.

As someone who used to work at DCPAH, or as its known today VDL, and I still know a lot of people who work there and talked to one last night. The DCPAH side of the building is busy as ever. They are getting samples that used to go to other labs that are working at reduced capacities or temporarily closed, like Idexx for example. I'm not sure about other university associated labs like Kansas State or North Carolina. None the less DCPAH is busy as always and their funding comes from the diagnostics they do and I'm sure other funding sources, from either the University, State or Feds.

I can only guess that unless the safety people at the state have been living under a rock for the last 6 months I can tell you that they will follow the same basic as rules as everyone else. Masks when you are close to others or in the same room, 6' of social distancing etc. MSU has the same rules, and people working there have to follow those rules or they can be disciplined. I can't speak to why the state closed up their side of the building and the disease lab. But for those who don't know, when you work in a lab like that you are not in the lab 40 hours a week really. You may be in the lab itself for half the day then the other half is spend doing paperwork, verifying results etc. There is more to working in a lab then being in a lab all the time.

Justsayin, motdean and mbrewer like this.
  7. Justsayin

Justsayin

Great info, thanks for posting. Nice to hear insight from the inside! Are there some tests that the wildlife lab does that aren't usually done in the VDL? Just curious as you mentioned some samples pass from VDL to WDL.

MSUFW07 likes this.
  8. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

As far as samples going from VDL to WDL, I don't think it was a regular thing, but if the MSU Vet Clinic or VDL got in a wild animal that died then that would go through the MSU processes then over to WDL for them to figure out what they wanted to test for. So samples may have not been the best word to use but really once the animal is into the systems that MSU uses its the easiest thing to call it.

So as a hypothetical example, a rehab gets a wild deer in that is not looking well, they decide to take it to the MSU Vet Clinic, which has a VERY small area for wildlife. Drs there decide to euthanize it but want to know what was wrong with it. It would likely be entered into the MSU computer system, sent over by MSU currier, from either VDL or the Vet Clinc, to VDL where it would be passed basically directly to the necropsy techs who would then pass it to the DNR and their lab folks. Then samples, again whatever the Dr's think is needed for testing, would be passed back to the VDL side for testing itself.

Also the disease lab I think is where bear, and some furbearer teeth end up for aging and whatever else they do. I only went over to that side of the building once or twice in the time I worked there so I don't know all they do over there.

Add to all that the fact that MDA has facilities there too and well it just muddies that waters more.

I will caveat what I say thought, I haven't worked at DCPAH/VDL for over 4 years so I'm sure some things have changed, but I still know and talk to a lot of people who work there. Also I didn't work in necropsy directly, frankly I couldn't handle the smell if I did anyways, but I did work with them and ran the currier route when I was needed to. But again it was a while ago.

motdean and Justsayin like this.