Wildlife lab closed?!?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Justsayin, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Justsayin

Justsayin

Learned yesterday in NRC meeting the Director shut down the disease lab due to Covid-19. A rep from the cattlemen's association was pretty hot that deer TB tests have not been completed which could jeopardize the State's beef & dairy industry. As usual the individual asking questions was not granted a response other than the Director saying it was his decision.

So what does this mean for the upcoming season? No TB or CWD testing? Is this why the DNR has been intentionally skirting questions regarding test goals and hunter service testing?

Why would the wildlife lab be closed when the associated MSU VDL has been fully open since May? I'm guessing it's a question of priority coupled with the big D's agenda. It's past time for D to be held accountable to serve the interests of all citizens. Where was it government decisions to save money put citizen lives at risk? Oh right, Flint...

I'm to the point of saying screw it. No test, no reason to kill anything in the CWD area. How's that going to work for disease control?!?

2. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Spoke to a DNR lab scientist a few weeks ago who is working on the genetic testing of CWD deer. Unfortunately, after 2+ years they still have not been able to confirm that the 1 and only CWD positive in the U.P. is even remotely related to any other Dickinson County deer.

She is still working from home. She said that due to Covid 19 she has lost her assistant and when she does get back to the lab she will have a zero budget for this program.

3. Justsayin

Justsayin

This thread was not started to spawn a political debate.

The "D" I reference stands for "d"irector, "d"an, perhaps "DD" would make it more clear. No doubt the pandemic has had broad impact.... I would like more transparency regarding the choices for where money IS being spent, when zoonotic diseases are raging, I struggle to find justification for the decision to shut down the lab that serves public health. (TB, West Nile, EEE, Zika, CWD, etc.) The associated lab has found a way to continue...

As an aside, I don't disagree with anything you said but there is a different forum for that.

4. Justsayin

Justsayin

Wild Thing - As we have seen prior, not willing to share information, doesn't necessarily mean they were not able to confirm related or not. Have you tried an FOIA request, not that you will be granted information requested, but if you push it with appeals and are willing to pay, you might at least understand if testing was done and what the technical report actually says.

So many difficult choices are being made. I have wondered how many of the research projects will end up on pause or cancelled.

5. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Yes...and we will eventually go there if necessary.

Justsayin and motdean like this.
  6. motdean

motdean

I wonder what the outfall will be if Michigan loses it's TB Free status.

I surely wouldn't want to be a hunting property owner if Michigan loses it....I can see them decimating the herd worse than they already have.

By the way, I am with you. If they decide not to test for CWD in the hot zones, I am tempted to stay at the home property and hunt this year....

7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The cattle farmers will take the biggest hit. They should since that is the industry that is responsible for transporting infected cattle all around the state.

Current mandated legislative report.
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdard/MDARDLegisRptTBProgram_071020_696135_7.pdf

Current mandated zoning order.
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/..._Order_2020_Final_-_April_1_2020_689784_7.pdf

8. motdean

motdean

What percent of cattle farmers do you believe are responsible?

Remember, just because a cow is moved, doesn’t mean that TB is.

Should the innocent ones feel the pain too?

9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Just because a few landowners across Michigan have CWD it means all Michigan deer hunters pay and have rules made for the few. The same can be said for Covid19 positive cases. So to answer your question. Yes!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  10. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

Kinda sounds like guns/gunowners situation...

11. mbrewer

mbrewer

It could be as simple as the Department's recognition or fear that they can't provide a safe work environment for lab staff. Couldn't control the lab staff's increased exposure to bTB why expect they can with Covid-19?

Nostromo and Woodstock like this.
  12. motdean

motdean

You may have missed it, but the MSU lab is open...both state agencies. Perhaps the DNR might take advantage of best practices at MSU?
    I’ll bet you a dollar that if we are about to lose our TB Free status, they will find a way to reopen the lab.

#NotBuyingIt

Justsayin likes this.
  13. Justsayin

Justsayin

Not really convinced that rings true for several reasons. They have been aware of the bTB exposure for over a year and responded in part by reducing testing in 2019. I believe other changes to improve the facility were also completed, but it is possible not all were finished prior to Covid-19. Lab environments are more isolated, with few workers, and it is in fact a part of their normal working environment to take appropriate measures in handling disease. If the adjacent MSU Vet lab is back to full capacity (since May), risk of Covid-19 provides a weak justification for shutting the Wildlife Lab down. Funding choices though... seem more likely.

I wonder if other state wildlife agencies have shut down disease monitoring?

You know, if it were really that simple, why not communicate that? Why not answer the man's questions? Be honest, forthcoming... too much to expect apparently.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    motdean likes this.
  14. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

One could in an attempt contact the Governor not saying She will do anything but The Director is it not an Appointment Position? And Yes any of these disease could be a public concern and she does not need another public health highlighted plus right now there is many things that she is talking about adding a Lane to I94 for driverless vehicle which might not a "priority as public health is but again one never knows what is high priority but the COVID 19 as every day more conformed cases and more are still dying and who wants to possible get sick from eating tainted meat from a deer that has bTB or CWD if the is not "TESTING". Maybe the "Director" needs a "Wake Up Call" Or even contact your state senator or representative and voice one's concerns. As the DNR seems to lose sight of what is a part of importance like when It was first found in Meridian Township they set up a Check Station on Zimmer Road in Ingham County bt that was short lived, as the first year it was manned late, the second or maybe 3rd it was rarely open after 5 pm and then it was gone. So seems Priorities "change" back then They Want any an all roadkill called in in the area also that is Now Not Important even in the new hot zones like Montcalm, Mecosta, Kent or the other counties that have positive cases. So what has changed in the Surveillance if new cases are spreading? Must be the DNR thinks it is not a Concern just that it has been moving to new Counties / DMU's?
    Just Observation's, Guess It is Just more we cannot expect from the DNR / NRC and the State.
    Oh Well, as everything has changed with COVID maybe these others things have dropped of the Important List?
    Newaygo1

Justsayin likes this.
  15. mbrewer

mbrewer

I got a cheek 4bothubiches. :evil: :lol:

motdean likes this.